Minimum coefficient of friction to prevent slipping - torque

In summary, the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping for a hollow, spherical shell with mass 1.95 rolling down a slope angled at 30.0 is 0.4. This was calculated using the equation f = (mu)mg cos(theta), where f is the friction force, mu is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of the slope. This equation was used because the friction force is mu times the normal force on the plane. The previously calculated values of acceleration and friction force were used to find the coefficient of friction. However, there may be a mistake in the calculation as the result does not seem accurate.
ph123
A hollow, spherical shell with mass 1.95 rolls without slipping down a slope angled at 30.0. Find the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping.

I have already calculated the acceleration of the sphere and the magnitude of the friction force on the sphere in previous parts. I used torque and Newton's laws to find the acceleration and friction. They are:
a = 2.94 m/s^2
f = 3.82 N

I used the following equation for the sum of forces in the x-direction, which I oriented along the slope of the incline, with the positive direction down the incline. I didn't think I needed to use torque here, because I got the same answer that way as well.

(sum)Fx = mgsin(theta) - f = ma
= mgsin(theta) - (mu)mgsin(theta) = ma
mu = [a - gsin(theta)] / [-gsin(theta)]
mu = (-1.96 m/s^2) / (-4.9 m/s^2)
= 0.4

This coefficient of friction isn't right, but I'm sure I included all of the forces. Anyone know where I messed up? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ph123 said:
= mgsin(theta) - (mu)mgsin(theta) = ma

The friction force is mu times the normal force on the plane

f = (mu)mg COS(theta).

You don't need the rest of your equation. You already found f = 3.82N so just plug the numbers into that equation.

I would like to first commend you on your use of equations and principles such as torque and Newton's laws to calculate the acceleration and friction force in previous parts. Your approach is correct, and your calculation of the coefficient of friction is also correct. However, there seems to be a small error in the signs used in your equation for the sum of forces in the x-direction. The correct equation should be:

= mgsin(theta) - (mu)mgcos(theta) = ma
mu = [a + gsin(theta)] / [gcos(theta)]
mu = (1.96 m/s^2) / (4.25 m/s^2)
= 0.46

This slight change in the sign of the second term makes a significant difference in the value of the coefficient of friction. The correct value is 0.46, which is higher than the 0.4 you calculated.

In terms of understanding where the error occurred, it is important to remember that the friction force acts in the opposite direction to the motion, and in this case, the motion is down the incline. So, the friction force should be in the uphill direction, which is why the cosine function should be used instead of the sine function.

In conclusion, your use of equations and principles is correct, and the error lies in a small sign mistake. The correct minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping in this scenario is 0.46. Keep up the good work in your scientific calculations!

Related to Minimum coefficient of friction to prevent slipping - torque

1. What is the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping?

The minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping depends on a variety of factors, such as the surface materials, applied force, and angle of the surface. Generally, a coefficient of friction of 0.5 or higher is considered sufficient to prevent slipping.

2. How does torque affect the minimum coefficient of friction for preventing slipping?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. In the context of preventing slipping, torque is important because it determines the amount of force applied to the surface, which in turn affects the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping. The greater the torque, the higher the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping.

3. Can the minimum coefficient of friction to prevent slipping be lower for certain surfaces?

Yes, the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping can vary depending on the surface materials. For example, a rougher surface may require a lower coefficient of friction compared to a smoother surface. Additionally, the type of material used for the surface can also affect the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping.

4. How can the minimum coefficient of friction be calculated for a specific situation?

The minimum coefficient of friction for preventing slipping can be calculated using the formula μ = F/N, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force applied to the surface, and N is the normal force exerted on the surface. This calculation will give the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping for a specific situation.

5. What are some real-world examples where knowledge of the minimum coefficient of friction is important?

Knowledge of the minimum coefficient of friction is important in many practical situations, such as designing safe flooring for buildings, determining the appropriate tire tread for vehicles, and creating effective brake systems for machinery. It is also essential for understanding the dynamics of sports and activities that involve friction, such as skiing and rock climbing.