Minimum chi squared estimation

In summary, To determine the minimum chi squared estimate for Fo in a model where the data is expected to be a flat line, you need to solve the equation \frac{d\chi ^2}{dFo} = -2\sum \frac{(di - bi - Fo)}{\sigma i^2} = 0 for Fo, which gives the estimate Fo = \sum \frac{di - bi}{\sigma i^2}.
indie452
hi
i have some data (star counts) and i have a model and i want to perform min chi squared

so if i call my data di, and my model mi with std dev = [itex]\sigma[/itex]i = 1

then [itex]\chi^2 = \sum \frac{(di - mi)^2}{\sigma i^2}[/itex]

no my model is this mi = bi - Fo where bi is the background which has been assumed to be 5, and Fo is some constant flux. from this i am thus assuming that the data is ecpected to be a flat line.

Now i want to determine the min ch squared estimate for Fo, but i am not sure how.
I have gotten this far:
[itex]\frac{d\chi ^2}{dFo} = -2\sum \frac{(di - bi - Fo)}{\sigma i^2}[/itex] = 0

any help is appreciated thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!To find the minimum Chi squared estimate for Fo, you need to solve the equation: \frac{d\chi ^2}{dFo} = -2\sum \frac{(di - bi - Fo)}{\sigma i^2} = 0 for Fo. Rearranging the equation gives Fo = \sum \frac{di - bi}{\sigma i^2} which is the minimum chi squared estimate for Fo.

Related to Minimum chi squared estimation

1. What is minimum chi squared estimation?

Minimum chi squared estimation is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a model by finding the values that minimize the sum of squared differences between the observed data and the predicted values.

2. When is minimum chi squared estimation used?

Minimum chi squared estimation is commonly used in regression analysis and other statistical models to estimate the relationship between variables and make predictions based on the data.

3. How does minimum chi squared estimation work?

In this method, the sum of squared differences between the observed data and the predicted values is calculated for a range of parameter values. The value that minimizes this sum is considered the best estimate for the parameters of the model.

4. What is the difference between minimum chi squared estimation and other estimation methods?

Minimum chi squared estimation differs from other estimation methods, such as maximum likelihood estimation, by using the sum of squared differences instead of the likelihood function to find the best estimate for the parameters.

5. What are the advantages of using minimum chi squared estimation?

One advantage of minimum chi squared estimation is that it is a simple and intuitive method, making it easy to understand and interpret. It also provides unbiased estimates for the parameters and allows for the incorporation of multiple variables in the model.