Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Minimizing the amount of material to make a cup

leprofece

Jan 23, 2014
An industrial makes a volume aluminum cups given "V" shaped straight circular cylinder open at the top. Find the dimensions that use less material.

Answer H = R = r = Cubic sqrt (3V/pi)

V = pir2h
And from here i dont know if it is right
r^2 = R2+ h2
as usual
I want to make sure

Last edited:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Re: max and min 7

An industrial makes a volume aluminum cups given "V" shaped straight circular cylinder open at the top. Find the dimensions that use less material.

Answer H = R = r = Cubic sqrt (3V/pi)

V = pir2h
r^2 = R2+ h2
as usual
I want to make sure
Yes, the volume of a cylinder is given by:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi r^2h\)

However, you say "V"-shaped leading me to believe the cups are cones instead. You are trying to minimize the amount of material used, to what aspect of the cups will be our objective function?

leprofece

Jan 23, 2014

to a part of it so i infer is the pitagorean one or maybe by thales I mean R/r = h-r/R

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

to a part of it so i infer is the pitagorean one
Yes, the slant height of the cone is related to the radius and height of the cone via the Pythagorean theorem. Can you state the objective function and its constraint?

leprofece

Jan 23, 2014

V = pir2h Objetive
r^2 = R2+ h2
as usual
I want to make sure Constraint so it must be
h2= r2-R2

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

I'm confused about how a cylinder can be "V"-shaped...I think the cups are conical, and so the objective function is:

\(\displaystyle S(r,h)=\pi r\sqrt{r^2+h^2}\) (the lateral surface area of a cone)

subject to:

\(\displaystyle V(r,h)=\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2h\) (the volume of a cone, which is a constant here)

leprofece

Jan 23, 2014

I'm confused about how a cylinder can be "V"-shaped...I think the cups are conical, and so the objective function is:

\(\displaystyle S(r,h)=\pi r\sqrt{r^2+h^2}\) (the lateral surface area of a cone)

subject to:

\(\displaystyle V(r,h)=\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2h\) (the volume of a cone, which is a constant here)

oh my frind remenber i live in venezuela where people speaks spanish
so sorry it must be An industrial makes aluminum cups of a volume given "V" whose form is a straight circular cylinder shaped and open at the top. Find the dimensions that use less material.

So it must be how you say

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

Okay, when you say "V" shaped, this to me sounds like a conical cup. But hey, we will get to the bottom of it yet! (Star)

So, what we are trying to minimize is the surface of a cylinder open at one end. Hence, our objective function is:

\(\displaystyle S(r,h)=\pi r^2+2\pi rh\)

Subject to the constraint:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi r^2h\implies h=\frac{V}{\pi r^2}\)

So, substitute for $h$ using the constraint, into the objective function, and you will have the surface area $S$ as a function of one variable, $r$, and then you may then minimize the function in the usual way.

leprofece

Jan 23, 2014

I got R = H= (v/pi)1/3

leprofece

Jan 23, 2014

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

May you check please???
If The answer mine is right
I would be glad to check your work...otherwise I have to work the problem to see if your result is correct. :D