Minimize the following using K-Map and implement using universal gates

• Thread starter momentum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universal
In summary, there was a problem given to minimize using K-Map and implement using universal gates. The function to be minimized was the sum of minterms 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, and 14. The conversation discussed two possible solutions, Solution #1 and Solution #2. The book only provided Solution #2, but Solution #1 is also valid. The difference between the two solutions is that Solution #2 is more simplified because it extended a group in the K-map, while Solution #1 did not.
momentum
Problem:
minimize the following using K-Map and implement using universal gates
f=sum of m( 2,3,6,7,8,10,11,13,14)My Solution
Here is my solution

https://prnt.sc/jdyk0k

K map.png

However, my solution is not matching with book solution

Book solution
https://prnt.sc/jdyj4n
K map 2.png

I'm confused. which solution is correct?

Attachments

• K map.png
    K map.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 638
  • K map 2.png
    K map 2.png
    12 KB · Views: 298
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The book solution is correct. You do not appear to be mapping the minterms to the K-map cells properly. If you could explain how you are mapping the minterm "3", for example, additional help could be provided.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Ok.. understood.
I did the correction. Now I have 2 solutions to this problem.

Solution # 1
LAxRgqp.jpg

And

Solution # 2
7TNZXHg.jpg

But Book has given only Solution # 2 . Did they missed Solution # 1 ?

Do you think Solution # 1 is invalid ? Or Book just missed to print solution#1

Please correct me If I can write Solution # 1 as a possible solution to this problem. I'm stuck at this point.

Attachments

• option-1_zpsdvjfdnze.png
    option-1_zpsdvjfdnze.png
    11 KB · Views: 370
  • option-2_zps2by5kg1q.png
    option-2_zps2by5kg1q.png
    11 KB · Views: 370
  • LAxRgqp.jpg
    LAxRgqp.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 7TNZXHg.jpg
    7TNZXHg.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Solution 1 is valid, but solution 2 is more simplified. When doing K-map grouping, if any group can be extended, extend it.

Thanks. That helped a lot.

Related to Minimize the following using K-Map and implement using universal gates

1. What is a K-Map and how is it used to minimize a logical expression?

A Karnaugh map, or K-Map, is a graphical method used to simplify Boolean algebra expressions. It consists of a grid with cells representing all possible combinations of input variables. The K-Map is used to identify groups of adjacent cells that can be combined to form a simplified expression for the given logical function.

2. What are universal gates and why are they used for implementing minimized expressions?

Universal gates are logic gates that can be used to create any Boolean algebra expression. The most commonly used universal gates are the NAND and NOR gates. These gates are used to implement minimized expressions because they require a smaller number of physical components, which leads to reduced cost and complexity in circuit design.

3. How can I identify the prime implicants in a K-Map?

Prime implicants are identified by grouping adjacent cells in the K-Map that contain a single 1 and have the largest possible size. These groups are called minterms and represent the essential prime implicants. Any remaining cells that cannot be grouped are called don't care terms and can be used to further simplify the expression.

4. Can a logical expression be minimized using a K-Map without using universal gates?

Yes, a logical expression can be minimized using a K-Map without using universal gates. However, using universal gates can result in a more efficient and cost-effective implementation of the minimized expression.

5. Are there any limitations to using K-Maps for minimizing logical expressions?

K-Maps are most effective for simplifying expressions with up to 6 variables. Beyond 6 variables, the K-Map can become too large and complex, making it difficult to identify and group the prime implicants. In addition, K-Maps are not suitable for expressions with don't care terms that are not adjacent to any other 1s.