What is the Formula for the Doppler Effect?

In summary, the conversation is about the Doppler Effect and its formula for a moving observer, moving source, and both moving. The formula for a moving observer is F = (1+ OR 1-(U/V))f, while the formula for a moving source is F = ((1)/(1+ or 1-(U/V)))f. There is also a relativistic transformation equation given by [squ](1 + v/c) / [squ](1 - v/c) for high velocities. The conversation ends with a discussion about the potential effects on sound when traveling at the speed of light.
Blueice88
Hi All... Who knows the formula of the Dopler´s Effect??Please someone help me.This is a little curiosity that I Have.Regards.

BlueIce88

Physics news on Phys.org
DOPPLER EFFECT FOR MOVING OBSERVER:

F = (1+ OR 1-(U/V))f

Units are inversed seconds

v = speed of wave
u = speed of observer
F = with doppler effect
f = without doppler effect

I just got this outta my old physics book as we didn't cover this chapter so it's as new to me as to you!

DOPPLER EFFECT FOR MOVING SOURCE:

F = ((1)/(1+ or 1-(U/V)))f

Same units as above
Same variable definitions as above

DOPPLER EFFECT FOR MOVING SOURCE AND MOVING OBSERVER

F = ((1+ or 1-(u/v))/(1+ or 1-(U/V)))f

Same units as above
Addition variables:

u = moving observer
U = moving source

Relativistic transformation given by [squ](1 + v/c) / [squ](1 - v/c) if you want that one for high velocities.

Wavelength is red-shifted (lengthened), and frequency shortened for sources moving away. Blue-shift/longer frequency for sources moving towards observer.

Yeah mulder. Interesting I didn't see these relativistic equations in the relativity chapter...

The low note on a bass guitar, traveling at the speed of light, ouch that might hurt my ears!

Thank You... Very Much friends! I´m Glad to be part of this forum!Regards.

[]´s

BlueIce88

1. What is the Doppler Effect formula?

The Doppler Effect formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer.

2. How is the Doppler Effect formula derived?

The Doppler Effect formula is derived from the basic principles of wave motion and the relative velocity between the source and observer. It takes into account the speed of the wave, the velocity of the source, and the velocity of the observer.

3. What is the significance of the Doppler Effect formula in science?

The Doppler Effect formula has significant applications in various fields of science, including astronomy, meteorology, and physics. It helps in understanding the motion of celestial objects, analyzing weather patterns, and studying the behavior of waves.

4. Can the Doppler Effect formula be used for all types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler Effect formula can be applied to all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and even ocean waves. However, the formula may need to be modified for certain types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves, due to the different characteristics of these waves.

5. How accurate is the Doppler Effect formula?

The Doppler Effect formula is a highly accurate mathematical equation that has been extensively tested and verified through experiments. However, its accuracy may be affected by factors such as the speed and direction of the source and observer, and the medium through which the wave is traveling.