Minimal Subsitution from Lorentz Invariance

In summary, the conversation discusses coupling photons to a Dirac field for electrons and the use of the Dirac equation and Lorentz invariance. The speaker is unsure why a change in space-time measure by Lorentz invariance is invariant and the other speaker clarifies that it is actually gauge invariance that is involved. They explain how this transformation is not covariant by itself but becomes so when combined with the Dirac equation.
Sekonda
Hello,

My question is on coupling the photons to our Dirac field for electrons, we have the Dirac equation:

[tex](i\not{\partial -m })\psi=0[/tex]

By Lorentz invariance we can change our space-time measure by:

[tex]\partial ^\mu \rightarrow \partial ^\mu+ieA^\mu\equiv D^\mu[/tex]

Though I cannot see why Lorentz invariance implies that this change is invariant?

Sorry if I haven't explained my issue well, any help appreciated!

SK

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not Lorentz invariance that's involved here, it's gauge invariance. Under an electromagnetic gauge transformation, Aμ → Aμ + λ and ψ → ψ exp(-ieλ(x)). So ∂μψ → (∂μψ - ieψλ) exp(-ieλ(x)), which by itself is not covariant, but the combination

Dμψ = (∂μ + ieAμ)ψ → (∂μψ + ieAμ - ieψλ + ieψλ) exp(-ieλ(x)) = (Dμψ) exp(-ieλ(x)) is.

Related to Minimal Subsitution from Lorentz Invariance

What is minimal substitution from Lorentz invariance?

Minimal substitution from Lorentz invariance is a mathematical framework used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of particles and fields under Lorentz transformations. It involves replacing the classical variables of position and time with relativistic variables such as four-vectors and tensors.

Why is minimal substitution important in physics?

Minimal substitution is important because it allows us to incorporate the principles of special relativity into our understanding of particle and field interactions. It helps us to accurately describe the behavior of particles at high speeds and in different reference frames.

How is minimal substitution related to Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. Minimal substitution is a mathematical technique that maintains this principle by ensuring that physical laws are unchanged under Lorentz transformations.

What are the limitations of minimal substitution?

Minimal substitution is limited in its application to systems that obey Lorentz symmetry. It cannot be used to describe systems that violate this symmetry, such as those involving non-inertial frames of reference or those with preferred directions in space.

How is minimal substitution used in practical applications?

Minimal substitution is used in a variety of practical applications, including particle physics, quantum field theory, and relativistic mechanics. It is a key component in the development of theories such as the Standard Model and general relativity, which have been successfully tested and applied in various experiments and technologies.