Exploring Double Charge Particles: Debunking Common Misconceptions

In summary, there are no particles in the standard model with a charge of +2 or -2. This is because a proton is defined to have a charge of +1, so any particle with a charge of +2 or -2 would not be considered a proton. The Δ++ resonance is an exception with a charge of +2, but it is debatable whether it can be classified as a particle.
Duom02
Are there such things as an electron wtih -2 on it? Or say a proton with +2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, because a proton is defined to have a charge +1. If it were to have a charge +2, it would by definition no longer be a proton.

There are no particles in the standard model with charge +2 or -2.

- Warren

Yes I understand that a proton is only +1 I just forgot the name for that branch of particles.

But yeah i was wondering if there was a model which I guess there is not as you say.

If it had a -+2, it wouldn't be a proton. Protons have a specific amount of charge, and that value is deemed 1. So it's that 1 that defines what a proton is.

the Δ++ resonance has a charge +2. whether you want to call it a particle or not, now that s a different question.

1. What are double charge particles?

Double charge particles are particles that carry a charge that is twice the magnitude of a single charge particle. This means that they have two positive or negative charges instead of one.

2. How are double charge particles created?

Double charge particles can be created through various processes, including the decay of other particles, the collision of particles, and the interaction of particles with high-energy fields.

3. Can double charge particles exist in nature?

Yes, double charge particles do exist in nature. They have been observed in particle accelerators and in cosmic ray showers. However, they are not commonly found in everyday matter and can only exist in specific conditions.

4. Are double charge particles the same as antimatter?

No, double charge particles and antimatter are not the same. Antimatter particles have the same mass as their corresponding matter particles, but they carry opposite charges. Double charge particles, on the other hand, have twice the charge of a single charge particle.

5. What are some common misconceptions about double charge particles?

One common misconception is that double charge particles are the same as ions, which are atoms with an unequal number of protons and electrons. Another misconception is that double charge particles can exist freely in everyday matter, when in reality they can only exist in specific conditions and for a very short time.