Minimal no collapse interpretation

In summary, the fuzzy world interpretation holds that while objects appear to collapse, there is still superposition and fuzziness, just too small to observe.
meBigGuy
Gold Member
Is this a proper summary of a minimal-no-collapse interpretation? (I like to call it the fuzzy world interpretation, but I suppose I'm the only one)

When objects entangle, it constrains their degrees of freedom. As they entangle with more and more objects, their degrees of freedom are limited more and more. This results in the appearance of what we call classical behavior. But there is still superposition and fuzziness, just too small to observe. This provides the appearance of collapse. It is all driven by the principle that all entangled entities must correlate.

Assuming I'm not too far off (but I may be), what about this interpretation is considered inadequate, and is supplied (not simply undefined) by other interpretations.

Be gentle :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "When objects entangle, it constrains their degrees of freedom". Could you elaborate on this?

Dop a drop of ink in a glass of water. At the beginning ink is in a small volume (small dof)
then entropy grows (greater volume, greater dof)
So higher entropy is associated to higher degrees of freedom.
Maximally entangled particles are associated to a maximal entropy

What I said is way too mushy. Let me think a bit more.

meBigGuy said:
Is this a proper summary of a minimal-no-collapse interpretation? (I like to call it the fuzzy world interpretation, but I suppose I'm the only one)

When objects entangle, it constrains their degrees of freedom. As they entangle with more and more objects, their degrees of freedom are limited more and more. This results in the appearance of what we call classical behavior. But there is still superposition and fuzziness, just too small to observe. This provides the appearance of collapse. It is all driven by the principle that all entangled entities must correlate.

Assuming I'm not too far off (but I may be), what about this interpretation is considered inadequate, and is supplied (not simply undefined) by other interpretations.

Be gentle :)

Interpretations of quantum mechanics tend to differ on how they describe what's actually going on when a wave function appears to collapse and how they deal with the EPR paradox.

You seem to lean towards a belief in physical collapse, but really you're just describing decoherence. When the superposition becomes too small to observe how do you think the prominent state is determined?

You should look at the EPR paradox too and decide how you think that should be resolved.

craigi said:
When the superposition becomes too small to observe how do you think the prominent state is determined?

I'm stuck on that at the moment. (The derivation of pointer states, and objectification through redundancy). (not stuck so much as still learning. That's the mushy part of what I originally posted)

As for favoring collapse, I have a problem with "collapse" (discontinuities) , but I'm inconsistent in expressing it. I definitely favor "appearance of collapse", and am slowly progressing in understanding it.

Related to Minimal no collapse interpretation

1. What is the minimal no collapse interpretation?

The minimal no collapse interpretation is a concept in quantum mechanics that posits that the wave function of a system does not collapse when observed, but rather evolves continuously according to the Schrödinger equation. This interpretation is in contrast to the more commonly accepted Copenhagen interpretation, which states that the wave function collapses upon measurement.

2. How does the minimal no collapse interpretation differ from the Copenhagen interpretation?

In the Copenhagen interpretation, the act of measurement is seen as causing the collapse of the wave function and determining the state of the system. However, in the minimal no collapse interpretation, the wave function is seen as always evolving and the act of measurement is simply obtaining information about the system.

3. What is the motivation behind the minimal no collapse interpretation?

The motivation behind the minimal no collapse interpretation is to reconcile the discrepancies between the macroscopic world and the quantum world. The Copenhagen interpretation suggests that the act of measurement causes the collapse of the wave function, but this does not fully explain how macroscopic objects can exist in definite states while also being made up of quantum particles.

4. Are there any experimental tests that support the minimal no collapse interpretation?

While there are currently no direct experimental tests that support the minimal no collapse interpretation, there are a few indirect pieces of evidence. For example, the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment suggests that the choice of measurement does not affect the outcome of the experiment, which is in line with the minimal no collapse interpretation.

5. What are the implications of the minimal no collapse interpretation?

The implications of the minimal no collapse interpretation are still being debated and explored. Some suggest that it may lead to a better understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality, while others argue that it may not fully address all the issues and paradoxes of quantum mechanics. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the implications of this interpretation.