Minimal compactification of an infinite dimensional space

In summary, there have been attempts to find a minimal compactification for infinite-dimensional topological vector spaces such as Hilbert space, but it seems that any compactification would violate some fundamental properties of the original space. Further research and discussion may be necessary to find a satisfactory solution to this problem.
muppet
Wikipedia seems fairly consistent in stating that infinite-dimensional topological vector spaces such as Hilbert space aren't locally compact, which means that they can't have a one-point compactification. As metric spaces they're Tychonoff spaces, and thus can be compactified with the Stone-Cech compactification, but this is the "maximal" construction. Does anyone know of a minimal compactification of such manifolds, in the sense that it obtains the smallest possible compact extension of such a space?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a procedure I just came up with, which seems to suggest that I could compactify the space with at most one extra point :confused:

In what follows any "facts" I quote will probably derive from wikipedia articles; I'd appreciate anything contentious being drawn to my attention.

Let our infinite-dim vector space, assumed metrizable, be called X. As a metric space it's compactly generated, and hence we can infer the existence of a locally compact hausdorff space Y such that X is the quotient space of Y under some map. As Y is a locally compact hausdorff space, it admits a one-point compactification. Then apply the original quotient relation to obtain X', our original point set with at most one extra point if the point at infinity should prove inequivalent to members of X. As the quotient space of a compact space, X' is compact.

Is there a flaw in this procedure? As it seems that only locally compact Hausdorff spaces admit one-point compactifications, if this does result in a compact space it seems that it must do some great violence to the original topology; would there be a way of showing whether or not properties such as being hausdorff were preserved by this procedure?

Its sort of obvious that Hilbert space is not locally compact since one can presumably find an infinite orthogonal sequence of unit vectors.I don’t know the answer to this interesting question, but seem to recall (from a class 45+ years ago) a relevant fact. An inclusion from a completely regular T1 space X into a compact such space Y, induces by restriction an injection from the algebra of continuous functions on Y to a uniformly closed subalgebra of bounded continuous point separating functions on X containing the constants. Conversely any such subalgebra of BC(X) recovers the compactification Y. The largest compactification Y is the one associated to the full algebra BC(X), and a smallest compactification would come from a smallest such subalgebra, if one exists. When X is locally compact, one can consider the subalgebra of continuous functions on X having “limits at infinity”, i.e. such that there exists L such that for every e>0, |f-L| < e, everywhere off some compact set.
Then the closure of the embedding of X in the Tychonoff cube defined by these functions gives the one point compacitification.

Just the mumblings of an old man with a kid’s memory from math 212.

you might want to ask this at stack exchange, mathematics section, where lots of mathematicians answer these questions.

Thanks for your replies, mathwonk- as you might have noticed from my posts in other subforums here, I'm a theoretical physicist without much of a brain for pure maths. I'm glad you found it interesting anyway!

If you figure out an answer, let us know. It's an incredibly interesting problem!

The closest anwer I can give is to consider the projective space associated with the infinite dimensional vector space. I have a feeling that this is a rather small compactification. But I didn't check the details yet, so I don't even know if it's a compactification at all...

if we had a one point and hausdorff compactification Y of a space X, then each point p of C has an open nbhd disjoint in Y from some open nbhd of the point at infinity. Thus the complement of that open nbhd of infinity is a closed nbhd of p. Since the intersection of a closed set with compact space Y is itself compact, this means every point p in X has a compact nbhd in X, i.e. X is not an infinite dimensional hilbert space.

I was thinking about my attempt yesterday whilst bored in a seminar. If the "facts" I quoted from wikipedia are indeed facts, then it looks as if my argument constructs a one-point compactification of the original set X; define the equivalence relation on the one-point compactification of the locally compact set Y by the union of the equivalence relation on Y that leads to X with [tex]\{(\infty,\infty)\}[/tex]; then the equivalence classes form X along with a single addition. I got stuck when it came to thinking about the topology on whatever set it is that has elements of an infinite dimensional hilbert space as equivalence classes, but (particularly as a result of mathwonk's post) I'm inclined to say that the end result can't be hausdorff, whatever it is.

Related to Minimal compactification of an infinite dimensional space

1. What is minimal compactification?

Minimal compactification is a mathematical concept that involves adding points to a space in order to make it compact. In this case, the space is infinite dimensional, meaning it has an infinite number of dimensions. The goal of minimal compactification is to find the smallest possible addition of points that will make the space compact.

2. Why is compactification important in infinite dimensional spaces?

Compactification is important in infinite dimensional spaces because it allows us to study and analyze these spaces in a more manageable way. Compact spaces have nice properties that are not present in non-compact spaces, making them easier to work with mathematically.

3. How is minimal compactification different from other types of compactification?

Minimal compactification is different from other types of compactification because it focuses on adding the smallest number of points necessary to make the space compact. Other types of compactification may add more points than necessary, which can make the space more difficult to work with.

4. Can any infinite dimensional space be compactified?

Not all infinite dimensional spaces can be compactified. In order for a space to be compactifiable, it must satisfy certain conditions. For example, the space must be locally compact and Hausdorff. If these conditions are not met, then the space cannot be compactified.

5. What are some applications of minimal compactification?

Minimal compactification has applications in various areas of mathematics, including functional analysis, topology, and differential geometry. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum field theory and string theory. In addition, minimal compactification can be used to study infinite dimensional dynamical systems and control theory.