The simplist concept in mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the simplest concept in mathematics, with various opinions being shared. Some suggest the concept of "set" or "True-False" as the simplest, while others argue for addition or the ability to recognize and associate between opposite concepts. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the idea that 1 or 0, something or nothing, in binary form, could be considered the simplest concept in mathematics.
Loren Booda
What is the simplist concept in mathematics?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]\emptyset[/tex]

One can always get an argument between set theorists and logicians as to whether Set theory is based on logic or logic is based on set theory.

That is why I would say the simplist concept is either "set" or "True-False".

Logic/illogic?

um id pick addition as the simplest. your 4 basic functions (addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication) are all different forms of adding. subtraction is adding a negative number, multiplicatin is adding a number a certain about of times, and division is the inverse of multiplication. all functions can be done this way so my choice is addition.

multiplying by 0

Originally posted by brum
multiplying by 0

I would actually say that deviding by Zero involves a lot less working out!

i believe he said concept not function, i would agree multiplying by 0 is easiest function, but i like my answer better.

Our ability to recognize and associate between opposite concepts,
in my opinion this is the heart of Math language.

that there is only 1 correct answer to a given problem.

unit zero there are not always only 1 answer to a problem. for instance sqrt(9) could be either -3 or 3 couldn't it?

No! sqrt(9) is always 3. Maybe you're confused with the equation x^2=9, which indeed has solutions x=3 and x=-3.

In answer to the original question: I'd say that 1 (or the n x n Itentity matrix) would be the simplest concept available...

Last edited:
1 or 0, something or nothing..binary

1. What is the simplest concept in mathematics?

The simplest concept in mathematics is the number 0 (zero). It represents the absence of any quantity or value, and is often used as a starting point for counting and other mathematical operations.

2. How is the number 0 used in mathematics?

The number 0 is used as a placeholder in the decimal system, as well as a starting point for counting and measuring. It is also used in equations and formulas to represent the absence of a value.

3. Is 0 considered a natural number?

No, 0 is not considered a natural number as it does not occur in nature and is not used in natural counting. However, it is still an important concept in mathematics and is included in the set of whole numbers, which also includes positive integers.

4. How is division by 0 handled in mathematics?

Division by 0 is undefined in mathematics, as it would result in an infinite or undefined value. For this reason, it is considered an invalid operation and is not allowed in mathematical equations.

5. Why is 0 considered both an even and an odd number?

In mathematics, even numbers are defined as those that can be divided by 2 without a remainder, while odd numbers cannot. Since 0 can be divided by 2 without a remainder, it is considered an even number. However, it also has unique properties that make it neither even nor odd, so it is sometimes referred to as an even-odd number.