Min(|v|) and max(|v|) in relation to norms of a vector

In summary: Try again. Surely you can come up with a non-zero vector whose norm is zero per ||\mathbf v|| = \min (|v_1|, |v_2|, \cdots, |v_n|).
infinitylord

Homework Statement

I have a homework problem in honors calculus III that I'm having a little trouble with. Given these three qualities of norms in Rn:

1) f(v)[itex]\geq[/itex]0, with equality iff v=0
2) f(av)=|a|f(v) for any scalar a
3) f(v+w) [itex]\leq[/itex] f(v)+f(w)

we were given a set of 3 functions and told that 2 were norms and 1 was not a norm. I very easily classified that f(v1,...,vn)=|v1|+...+|vn| was a norm using these three properties. the two left were g(v1,...vn) = min(|v1|,...,|vn|) and h(v1,...vn) = max(|v1|,...,|vn|). I determined through some research that the maximum function was a norm and the minimum function was not. But I don't know why that is. I tried using the triangle inequality 3) to prove this, but I came up with the inequality being true for both the max and min. I'm really not sure what to do from here as I believe that both of the first 2 properties of norms work for the max and min. I was reliant on the triangle inequality being the counterexample I needed for the minimum function. If someone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a counterexample for the triangle inequality, you just need some clever choice of vectors to test. Two vectors with two components each are sufficient, if you just test some cases you should find a counterexample.

infinitylord said:
I'm really not sure what to do from here as I believe that both of the first 2 properties of norms work for the max and min.
Try that again. Surely you can come up with a non-zero vector whose norm is zero per [itex]||\mathbf v|| = \min (|v_1|, |v_2|, \cdots, |v_n|)[/itex].

Likes 1 person
infinitylord said:

Homework Statement

I have a homework problem in honors calculus III that I'm having a little trouble with. Given these three qualities of norms in Rn:

1) f(v)[itex]\geq[/itex]0, with equality iff v=0
2) f(av)=|a|f(v) for any scalar a
3) f(v+w) [itex]\leq[/itex] f(v)+f(w)

we were given a set of 3 functions and told that 2 were norms and 1 was not a norm. I very easily classified that f(v1,...,vn)=|v1|+...+|vn| was a norm using these three properties. the two left were g(v1,...vn) = min(|v1|,...,|vn|) and h(v1,...vn) = man(|v1|,...,|vn|). I determined through some research that the maximum function was a norm and the minimum function was not. But I don't know why that is.

Consider [itex]v = (1,0, \dots, 0)[/itex]. Then [itex]v \neq 0[/itex] so by (1) its norm must be strictly positive.

Thanks guys! I got it now I believe. I used the triangle inequality with v=(1,0) and w=(0,1). That way (after some simplification) it turns into:
v1+w2[itex]\leq[/itex]v1-v1+w2-w2.
Therefore, 2<0. Which is completely untrue.

That's more complicated than necessary, but it certainly works.

1. What is min(|v|) and max(|v|) in relation to norms of a vector?

Min(|v|) and max(|v|) refer to the minimum and maximum magnitude of a vector, respectively, when measured using a specific norm. A norm is a mathematical function that assigns a non-negative value to a vector, representing its size or length.

2. How do you calculate min(|v|) and max(|v|) using a norm?

The specific formula for calculating min(|v|) and max(|v|) using a norm depends on the type of norm being used. However, in general, the minimum and maximum magnitude can be found by taking the smallest and largest values of the norm function applied to each component of the vector.

3. What is the significance of min(|v|) and max(|v|) in vector analysis?

Min(|v|) and max(|v|) provide important information about the size and magnitude of a vector, which can be useful in many applications. For example, in physics, the minimum and maximum magnitude of a force vector can determine the minimum and maximum amount of work that can be done by the force.

4. Can min(|v|) and max(|v|) be equal for a vector?

Yes, it is possible for min(|v|) and max(|v|) to be equal for a vector. This would occur when all components of the vector have the same magnitude, resulting in a constant norm function. In this case, the minimum and maximum magnitude would be equal to the magnitude of any component of the vector.

5. How does the choice of norm affect the values of min(|v|) and max(|v|)?

The choice of norm can greatly impact the values of min(|v|) and max(|v|). Different norms have different properties and measure different aspects of a vector, so the minimum and maximum magnitude may vary depending on the norm being used. For example, the Euclidean norm tends to give larger values for min(|v|) and max(|v|) compared to other norms, while the taxicab norm tends to give smaller values.