Min Friction Factor to Maintain Angle of Beam on Wall: 60°

In summary, the question is asking for the minimal friction factor needed for a homogenous beam, with a mass of 15kg and length of 10m, to remain in the same position when a body of mass 60kg is placed 7m from the end of the beam. The solution involves finding the static equilibrium of the system, which requires the sum of the moments to be zero and the net force to be zero. To solve this problem, the forces acting on the beam, including gravitational forces and friction, need to be identified and their components need to be calculated. This can be done by finding a point where the forces can be represented as components parallel and perpendicular to the beam.
Patrikp

Homework Statement

Homogenous beam rests on smooth wall such that it forms an angle of 60 degrees with the ground (picture is rotated). A body of mass m = 60 kg rests 7 m from the end of beam which lies on ground. Mass of beam equals 15kg and length equals 10 m.
What is the minimal friction factor such that beam remains in same position?[/B]

Homework Equations

Torque = Force x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess that total moment needs to be 0 but I can't go further then that. Also I don't know what the center should be. I know that the forces are gravitational of body, beam, and friction of beam and ground.[/B]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have messed up your terminology and equations..

What are the units for momentum? Force? Distance? What is the equation for work? What is the equation for torque?

Do objects with zero velocity have momentum?
If you want to find static equilibrium (ie case when it does not move) is momentum relevant?

Momentum = Force x distance
... this is not correct.
Perhaps you are thinking of the "moment"? Momentum is velocity times mass.

There are two conditions for a system to be static. One is that the sum of the moments must be zero. What is the other one?
Have you identified the forces on the beam? Have you drawn a sketch with the forces, labelled, drawn on it?

Simon Bridge said:
... this is not correct.
Perhaps you are thinking of the "moment"? Momentum is velocity times mass.

There are two conditions for a system to be static. One is that the sum of the moments must be zero. What is the other one?
Have you identified the forces on the beam? Have you drawn a sketch with the forces, labelled, drawn on it?

billy_joule said:
You have messed up your terminology and equations..

What are the units for momentum? Force? Distance? What is the equation for work? What is the equation for torque?

Do objects with zero velocity have momentum?
If you want to find static equilibrium (ie case when it does not move) is momentum relevant?

Ahh...I have problems translating it in English, I understand it. Anyways I thought of force x distance whatever it is called. I will edit it now.

Ok, I know that net torque of all forces and net force must be zero.
I draw the following forces:
1)gravitational force of beam (located in the middle of beam)
2)gravitational force of body ( exactly where the body is)
3) friction (acts horizontally?)

Then, I tried to write these forces as components of which some are parallel to beam and those which are forming right angle with beam.

But I think that problem for me is that in past problems I've done I have always had some point that was static and it was easy to calculate torque. Now I don't see that point or what?

Related to Min Friction Factor to Maintain Angle of Beam on Wall: 60°

1. What is the significance of the minimum friction factor in maintaining a 60° angle of a beam on a wall?

The minimum friction factor is an important factor in determining the stability and safety of a structure. It is the minimum amount of friction needed between the beam and the wall to prevent the beam from slipping or sliding down the wall. In this case, a minimum friction factor is required to maintain a 60° angle, which is considered a stable and optimal angle for the beam.

2. How is the minimum friction factor calculated?

The minimum friction factor is calculated by taking into account the weight of the beam, the angle of the beam, and the coefficient of friction between the beam and the wall. This calculation is based on the principle of static equilibrium, where the forces acting on the beam are balanced to prevent it from slipping or sliding.

3. What factors can affect the minimum friction factor?

The minimum friction factor can be affected by various factors, such as the weight and angle of the beam, the roughness of the wall surface, and the type of material used for the beam and wall. Other factors that can affect the friction factor include environmental conditions, such as temperature and moisture, and external forces, such as wind and seismic activity.

4. How does the minimum friction factor impact the design of a structure?

The minimum friction factor is an important consideration in the design of a structure, especially for beams and walls that are subjected to lateral forces. It helps determine the appropriate materials, dimensions, and construction techniques to ensure the stability and safety of the structure. A lower minimum friction factor may require additional reinforcement or modifications to the design to prevent slippage or failure.

5. Can the minimum friction factor be increased to provide more stability?

Yes, the minimum friction factor can be increased by using materials with a higher coefficient of friction, increasing the weight or angle of the beam, or improving the surface roughness of the wall. However, it is important to consider the overall design and structural integrity of the building, as increasing the friction factor may also increase the load and stress on other components of the structure.