Min -7, Interval -6 to 0, & Find Roots of \sqrt{7}

In summary: I don't see the point of intersectionsCan anyone help meMany Thanks :)In summary, the conversation was about finding the minimum value of a function using a graph, identifying the increasing interval of the function, finding the roots of an equation, and obtaining the value of \sqrt{7} to the nearest decimal place. The conversation also included a discussion about using the quadratic formula and a straight line to find the coordinates of a point on the graph. The conversation ended with a request for help with finding the point of intersection between two graphs.
mathlearn
Hi,
View attachment 5815

I drew the graph

graph_min.gif

1. Minumum value of the function = -7

can you help me to write the values for which the function is increasing interval -6<y<0

also can you help me to find the roots of the equation and obtain \(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}\) to the nearest decimal place.

Help me to proceed

Many Thanks (Smile)

Attachments

• graphq.PNG
    graphq.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you post an attempt? Also, this should have been posted in the geometry sub-forum.

I .First I drew the graph ✔

II.The first question asks the minimum value which I found using the graph '-7' ✔

II. Interval

IV. (an attempt) When y=0 roots -0.6 and 4.7

y = x2- 4x -3

0 = x2- 4x -3

Can you help me to find the \(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}\) to the nearest decimal place and the values of the function for which x is increasing the in interval -6<y<0

Many Thanks (Smile)

IV.

For $ax^2+bx+c=0$, the quadratic formula for $x$ is

$$x=\dfrac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$$

so we have

$$x^2-4x-3=0\implies x=\dfrac{4\pm\sqrt{28}}{2}=2\pm\sqrt7$$

Referring to your graph, $2+\sqrt7\approx4.6$, so $\sqrt7\approx2.6$.

Can you now attempt III, using the above result for the positive root of $x^2-4x-3=0$?

Can you explain on \(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}+2\) on the RHS of the equation . and How did this happen? Can you explain :)

Referring to your graph, 2+\(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}\)≈4.6 , so \(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}\)≈2.6.

Many Thanks :)

\(\displaystyle x=\dfrac{4\pm\sqrt{28}}{2}=\dfrac{4\pm\sqrt{4\cdot7}}{2}=\dfrac{4\pm2\sqrt7}{2}=2\pm\sqrt7\)

O.k?

I agree :) but what I'm uncertain is of how did you get 2 +\(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}\) to be 4.6, What was referred in the graph to derive that?

Look on the positive x-axis, where y = 0. :)

:) So to sum up the way of finding the \(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}\)using the graph.

1.Use the quadratic formula on the function
All of the rest of steps are clear and you have shown in a very detailed manner how the substituted quadratic formula is equal to \(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}+ 2\).

*What do you call this method of equaling the "top right part of the quadratic formula to a simplified top right part "

and my other question is why did you pick the positive x-axis instead of the negative ?

mathlearn said:
What do you call this method of equaling the "top right part of the quadratic formula to a simplified top right part "

Simplification, I guess.

mathlearn said:
...and my other question is why did you pick the positive x-axis instead of the negative ?

I could have picked either; the positive x-axis seemed easier and clearer at the time.

:) Now help me do V

(v) by drawing a suitable straight line, write down the coordinates of a point on the graph of which the x coordinate is twice the y coordinate.

Using Desmos I drew a graph https://www.desmos.com/calculator/sfxxgenmpz

Can anyone help me

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________Also help me in III

write down the interval of values of x for which the function is increasing in the interval −6 < y < 0.

A hint for V: $y=\dfrac12x$

:) Many Thanks,

I drew a straight but i don't no whether it's correct

(v) by drawing a suitable straight line, write down the coordinates of a point on the graph of which the x coordinate is twice the y coordinate.

graph_min.gif

Can anyone comment

Last edited:
V:

Use Desmos to graph $y=x^2-4x-3$ and $y=\dfrac12x$, then try to approximate the point of intersection of the two graphs.

Do you understand why the equation $y=\dfrac12x$ is useful? In fact, we can precisely determine the point of intersection of the two graphs by solving

$$x^2-4x-3=\dfrac12x$$

for $x$ and then finding $y$.

:)

greg1313 said:
V:

Use Desmos to graph $y=x^2-4x-3$ and $y=\dfrac12x$, then try to approximate the point of intersection of the two graphs.

Drew the line \(\displaystyle y=\dfrac12x\) and updated the graph in desmos.

[graph]cprxgj0agr[/graph]

But I don't see an perfect point of intersection :)

greg1313 said:
V:

Do you understand why the equation $y=\dfrac12x$ is useful? In fact, we can precisely determine the point of intersection of the two graphs by solving

$$x^2-4x-3=\dfrac12x$$

for $x$ and then finding $y$.
\(\displaystyle x^2-4x-3=\dfrac12x\)

So after simplification it gets [multiply both sides by 2 to cancel the 2 in the denominator of the fraction on RHS]

\(\displaystyle 2x^2-8x-6=x\)

So \(\displaystyle x=1\) I guess

\(\displaystyle \therefore \displaystyle y=\dfrac12x\)
\(\displaystyle \displaystyle y=\dfrac12*1\)
\(\displaystyle \displaystyle y=\dfrac12\)

So There after , I don't seem to get it that much

Last edited:
From $2x^2-8x-6=x$ we get $2x^2-9x-6=0$. Can you continue?

Looking at your hand-drawn graph, the point of intersection of $y=\dfrac12x$ and $x^2-4x-3$ is near $(x,y)=(-0.6,-0.3)$.

Yes absolutely :)

greg1313 said:
From $2x^2-8x-6=x$ we get $2x^2-9x-6=0$. Can you continue?

Looking at your hand-drawn graph, the point of intersection of $y=\dfrac12x$ and $x^2-4x-3$ is near $(x,y)=(-0.6,-0.3)$.

graph_min.jpg

points of intersection (-0.6,-0.3); Correct ? ✔

Now can you help me on

(iii) write down the interval of values of x for which the function is increasing in the interval −6 < y < 0.

Last edited:
That should be correct if you're expected to use the graph you drew. If you're expected to provide an exact value you need to solve the quadratic equation I gave in my previous post.

Very good.

Can you help me to find the interval.

(iii) write down the interval of values of x for which the function is increasing in the interval −6 < y < 0.

Any thoughts on how to begin?

greg1313 said:
Any thoughts on how to begin?

graph_min.jpg

I marked the range in orange

I think it should be 3<x<4.2, I am having trouble in writing the range

Any Ideas ?

Last edited:
Your orange line is correct. $x\in(3,4.6)$ or $3<x<4.6$, depending on which notation you are expected to use.

Many Thanks (Smile)

Related to Min -7, Interval -6 to 0, & Find Roots of \sqrt{7}

1. What is the meaning of "Min -7" in this context?

In this context, "Min -7" refers to the minimum value of the function, which is -7.

2. How do you interpret the interval -6 to 0?

The interval -6 to 0 means that the function is defined for all values between -6 and 0, including both endpoints. It can also be written as [-6, 0].

3. What does it mean to find the roots of \sqrt{7}?

The roots of \sqrt{7} refer to the values of x that make the function equal to 0. In other words, these are the x-values at which the graph of the function crosses the x-axis.

4. How do you find the roots of \sqrt{7} within the given interval?

To find the roots of \sqrt{7} within the interval -6 to 0, you would need to plot the function on a graph and see where it crosses the x-axis within that interval.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the roots of a square root function?

Yes, there are several methods for finding the roots of a square root function, such as graphing, factoring, or using the quadratic formula. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific function and interval given.