Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole to Light Up in 2013?

In summary: and no one saw it.sound waves can't propagate through space, so the gas cloud would have been blocked from view. but because the dust is mostly in the spiral arms, not right next to the black hole, we'll be able to see it with audio.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
As far as I know, the only evidence of a supermassive black hole (SMBH) at the center of our Milky Way has been it's gravitational effect on stars that zip around near the center of our galaxy and a radio signature. That's about to change in 2013 when a stream of ionized dust and gas begin it's death spiral into the void. It should be really cool to see our very own SMBH transform from the invisible monster it is into a brightly lit monster! Hopefully it will be bright enough to see visually.

link
Better link

Astronomy news on Phys.org
WoooO! Should be quite a show! If you can see in the radio or microwave spectrum at least.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we can't see anything in the center of our galaxy in the visual wavelength. There's too much dust in the way.

So we'll be capturing using audio waves and then interpreting? Or would the dust interfere with audio too?

Matt Todd said:
So we'll be capturing using audio waves and then interpreting? Or would the dust interfere with audio too?

Sound waves cannot propagate through space, the density is way too low for that. Since we can't "see" it, meaning we can't image it in visible light, we have to look in other wavelengths such as Infrared or Radio where the longer wavelengths allow the light to pass through the dust relatively unimpeded.

actually,,,why doesn't the black hole form visible light rays while engulfing these dust?

mysteriously said:
actually,,,why doesn't the black hole form visible light rays while engulfing these dust?

The matter from the accretion disk does generate light as it heats up while falling in. The light is blocked by dust in between us and the black hole. This dust is mostly in the spiral arms, not right next to the black hole.

Drakkith said:
Sound waves cannot propagate through space, the density is way too low for that. Since we can't "see" it, meaning we can't image it in visible light, we have to look in other wavelengths such as Infrared or Radio where the longer wavelengths allow the light to pass through the dust relatively unimpeded.

Actually, I remember reading about a kind of sound wave in space, or at leas the interstellar medium. The shock waves formed by supernovae are so large that the difference between the average density of the interstellar medium and the surface area of the shock wave would be comparable to sound waves on a human scale in a more dense medium.

...or something like that, sadly I don't remember where I read this :(

I remember reading something similar I think, but I'm betting that it isn't what most would consider "propagation of a sound wave".

I heard about the gas cloud. Its funny to think that it already happened thousands of years ago

Related to Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole to Light Up in 2013?

1. What is a supermassive black hole?

A supermassive black hole is an extremely dense and powerful region in space where gravity is so strong that not even light can escape from it. They are found at the center of most galaxies, including our own Milky Way.

2. How does a black hole "light up"?

The supermassive black hole at the center of our Milky Way is surrounded by a disk of gas and dust. As this material is pulled towards the black hole, it heats up and emits high-energy radiation, including X-rays and gamma rays. This is what is meant by the black hole "lighting up."

3. Will this event have any impact on Earth?

No, the black hole "lighting up" will not have any direct impact on Earth. The event is happening over 26,000 light years away and the radiation emitted will not reach us.

4. Why is the supermassive black hole in the Milky Way expected to "light up" in 2013?

In 2013, the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy is expected to "light up" because of an increase in the amount of material falling into it. This is a natural occurrence and has happened before in 1992 and 2002.

5. What can we learn from this event?

Studying the "lighting up" of the supermassive black hole in the Milky Way can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of these mysterious objects. It can also help us better understand the formation and evolution of galaxies.