Microwave Welding: How It Happened to Me

In summary: When the metal wheel gets hot from the microwaves, the charge on the wheel (and the wheel's metal surface) causes an electric arc.
Lancelot59
I put my tea in the microwave this morning then went to sit on the sofa. I heard some crackling noises, similar to the sound that metal makes when in a microwave.

I ran over, and hit stop then opened the microwave. The microwave tray was over to one side. I took the mug off but the tray didn't even move. I look and the wheels are still on the spinner.

I try to move the tray back and it doesn't budge. The tray was welded to the side of the microwave. :/

So I pried it off and drank my tea.

How did this happen? The tray is supposed to be able to resist heating by microwaves. I've seen that metal in a microwave will have electrical arcs shooting into the tray. Was this something similar? Except with such a large current through such a small contact area that the heat caused the welding?

I wonder if this effect could be re-produced using more focused microwaves.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What was the tray made of?
You can certainly heat thin metal in a microwave enough to melt it.
You can also melt a lot of plastics, especially if you heat certain foods. It's possible to locally heat liquids in a microwave to higher than their boiling points so if the plastic is normally good to 120C it might reach 150C in a small area.

It's made of some kind of metal. I have no clue what kind though. The microwave also is an oven.

What actually causes metal so spark in microwaves? I asked my physics teacher and he said he thought it was something to do with the ionization of the air in the microwave that caused some parts of the object to become positively and negatively charged.

Usually that tray is isolated from the metal interior of the microwave by the plastic wheels that it sits on.

Related to Microwave Welding: How It Happened to Me

What is microwave welding?

Microwave welding is a process in which two or more materials are joined together using electromagnetic radiation in the microwave frequency range. It is a non-contact welding method that uses the heat generated by the microwave energy to melt and fuse the materials together.

How does microwave welding work?

Microwave welding works by exposing the materials to be welded to a high-frequency electromagnetic field, usually in the range of 300 MHz to 300 GHz. This causes the molecules in the materials to vibrate and generate heat, which melts the surfaces and allows them to bond together when pressure is applied.

What materials can be welded using microwave welding?

Many different types of materials can be welded using microwave welding, including plastics, composites, ceramics, and even some metals. The key requirement is that the materials are able to absorb microwave energy and heat up to a melting point.

What are the advantages of microwave welding?

Microwave welding offers several advantages over traditional welding methods. It is a non-contact process, which means there is no need for electrodes or filler material, reducing the risk of contamination. It also has a faster heating and cooling rate, which can lead to increased productivity. In addition, microwave welding can create strong, precise welds without damaging the surrounding material.

Are there any limitations to microwave welding?

While microwave welding has many benefits, it also has some limitations. One of the main limitations is that it is only suitable for materials that can absorb microwave energy. This means that materials with low dielectric properties, such as most metals, cannot be welded using this method. Additionally, the equipment and technology for microwave welding can be expensive and require specialized training for proper operation.