Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack is going, going

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mac
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's use of Microsoft Office for Mac OS, specifically the 2008 version that was obtained for free through their college's institutional license. They have been considering upgrading to the 2011 Family Pack, which allows for three installations, but have recently discovered that it has been discontinued in favor of the new cloud-based system, Office 365. The speaker has decided to purchase the Family Pack from a third-party seller, as they do not plan on upgrading again unless necessary. They also mention using older versions of Office, such as 2003 and WordPerfect 8 from 1997.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm still using the 2008 version of Microsoft Office for Mac OS, because I got it for free through my college's institutional license, and it still works under Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion). I kept my eye on the Office 2011 Family Pack (1 user / 3 installs) because it was fairly cheap (~$120 at Amazon) and I have three machines to deal with (office, home desktop and home MacBook).

I just found out that Microsoft has discontinued this pack in favor of their new cloud-based system, Office 365, which you have to subscribe to at $100 per year (but you can use it on five machines, whee!).

Sure enough, Amazon itself doesn't sell the family pack any more, but some of its third-party sellers still have it at about $120. So I just ordered one, and am keeping my fingers crossed that Micro$oft will actually let me use it.

Of course, I don't plan to upgrade again unless I absolutely have to.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
New versions of Office are rarely worth it. You can still easily get by on 2003.

Office XP still works for me. Also use WordPerfect 8, vintage 1997.

1. What is the "Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack"?

The "Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack" is a package that includes multiple licenses for the Microsoft Office software suite, specifically designed for use on Mac computers. It allows multiple users within a household to have access to the software on their own devices.

2. How many licenses are included in the "Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack"?

The "Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack" includes three licenses, allowing it to be used on up to three different Mac devices within a household.

3. Is the "Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack" a one-time purchase or a subscription?

The "Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack" is a one-time purchase, meaning you only have to pay for it once and then you can use the software indefinitely. There is no need for a subscription.

4. What programs are included in the "Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack"?

The "Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack" includes the following programs: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Some versions may also include OneNote and Publisher.

5. Is the "Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack" compatible with all Mac devices?

The "Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack" is compatible with Mac devices running macOS 10.10 or later. However, some features may not be available on older versions of macOS.