Microscopy: Deconvolve the PSF and enhance resolution

In summary: Nonetheless deconvolution is nowadays a standard technique to enhance resolution, though, for the reasons mentioned by you, it has it's own limitations.
eoghan
Hi all,

In a diffracted limited microscope the resolution has a limit given by the Airy disk and this gives rise to the Rayleigh criteria. But if I deconvolve the observed image removing the psf then I eliminate the diffraction effects and I can resolve any distinct points, whatever close they are. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, another question related to the previous one. In the book Three-dimensional electron microscopy of macromolecular assemblies by Frank, ed 2006 ch 2.5.1 - "Concept of resolution" it is said

"Optical definitions of resolution are based on the ability of an instrument to resolve two points separated by a given distance d. [...] [Another] criticism is that the resolution criterion formulated above does not lend itself to a suitable experiment when applied to high-resolution EM. On the nanometer scale, any test object as well as the support it must be placed on, reveals its atomic makeup."

What does this passage mean? Why cannot have suitable experiments with the Rayleigh resolution criterion?

eoghan said:
In a diffracted limited microscope the resolution has a limit given by the Airy disk and this gives rise to the Rayleigh criteria. But if I deconvolve the observed image removing the psf then I eliminate the diffraction effects and I can resolve any distinct points, whatever close they are. Am I missing something?
The problem is that the deconvolution problem is ill-posed, meaning that a solution may not be unique, or may not even exist, and/or is quickly corrupted by the presence of noise, no matter how tiny.

olivermsun said:
The problem is that the deconvolution problem is ill-posed, meaning that a solution may not be unique, or may not even exist, and/or is quickly corrupted by the presence of noise, no matter how tiny.
Nevertheless deconvolution is nowadays a standard technique to enhance resolution, though, for the reasons mentioned by you, it has it's own limitations.

Sure, approximate deconvolution methods are used all the time to improve images. But the mathematics tell us why we can't just eliminate diffraction or aberrations once and for all and be done with it. ;)

Related to Microscopy: Deconvolve the PSF and enhance resolution

1. What is the purpose of deconvolving the PSF in microscopy?

Deconvolving the PSF (point spread function) is a method used in microscopy to remove the blurring effect caused by the microscope's optics. This allows for a clearer and more accurate representation of the specimen being viewed, enhancing the resolution of the image.

2. How does deconvolution improve the resolution of microscopy images?

By removing the blurring effect of the PSF, deconvolution allows for a sharper and more detailed image of the specimen. This is especially important in high-resolution microscopy, where small details can be easily lost due to the limitations of the microscope's optics.

3. What is the process of deconvolving the PSF in microscopy?

The process of deconvolving the PSF involves using mathematical algorithms to reverse the blurring effect of the microscope's optics. This is done by analyzing the PSF and applying a "deblurring" function to the image, resulting in a sharper and more accurate representation of the specimen.

4. Are there any limitations to deconvolution in microscopy?

While deconvolution can greatly enhance the resolution of microscopy images, it is not a perfect process. Some limitations include the need for high-quality and well-calibrated images, as well as the potential for introducing artifacts or noise in the deconvolved image.

5. How does deconvolution differ from other methods of enhancing microscopy resolution?

Deconvolution is a specific method used to enhance the resolution of microscopy images by removing the blurring effect of the PSF. Other methods, such as super-resolution techniques or using higher magnification objectives, may also improve resolution but do not specifically address the issue of PSF blurring.