Micrometer Scale Division Calculation

In summary, the smallest possible reading that can be obtained from the micrometer described in the conversation is 1/1000 mm. This is calculated by dividing the smallest division on the main scale (0.02 mm) by the number of divisions on the revolving scale (20). The answer may be more accurate if given in inches and the approach to solving the problem is unclear.
tsi poera

Homework Statement

in micrometer, there are 30 smallest divisions on the main scale per inch. One complete turn of the revolving scale that has 20 divisions makes one smallest division on the main scale. What is the smallest possible reading that can be obtained?

this is how i solved it. I am not sure if it's correct.

least count = .02 / 20 = 1 / 1000 mm

is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tsi poera said:

Homework Statement

in micrometer, there are 30 smallest divisions on the main scale per inch. One complete turn of the revolving scale that has 20 divisions makes one smallest division on the main scale. What is the smallest possible reading that can be obtained?

this is how i solved it. I am not sure if it's correct.

least count = .02 / 20 = 1 / 1000 mm

is this correct?

Welcome to the PF.

The answer should probably be in inches, no?

And where did you get the numbers in your calculation? Can you explain your approach to solving this problem?

Related to Micrometer Scale Division Calculation

1. How do I solve a micrometer word problem?

To solve a micrometer word problem, you will need to follow a few steps. First, make sure you understand the problem and what information is given. Then, convert any units to micrometers if necessary. Next, use the formula micrometer = millimeter x 1000 to convert millimeters to micrometers. Finally, use your understanding of units and basic math skills to solve the problem.

2. What is a micrometer and how is it used?

A micrometer, also known as a micron, is a unit of length equal to one millionth of a meter. It is commonly used to measure very small distances, such as the width of a human hair or the size of bacteria. It is often used in scientific research and manufacturing processes.

3. How do I convert micrometers to other units of length?

To convert micrometers to other units of length, you will need to know the conversion factor for the specific unit you want to convert to. For example, to convert micrometers to millimeters, you would multiply the number of micrometers by 0.001. To convert micrometers to centimeters, you would multiply by 0.0001. You can find conversion factors online or in a unit conversion chart.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving micrometer word problems?

One common mistake when solving micrometer word problems is forgetting to convert units to micrometers before using the formula. Another mistake is using the wrong conversion factor when converting micrometers to another unit of length. It is important to double check your work and make sure your units are consistent throughout the problem.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a micrometer word problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a micrometer word problem. However, it is important to make sure you are entering the correct numbers and using the correct formula. Using a calculator can be helpful for performing conversions or solving more complex problems, but it is still important to have a basic understanding of the concept and units involved.