Microbial contaminants in water distillation

In summary: Basically, you would have to boil the water, collect the vapour, and measure the concentration of microbes. I'm afraid this is beyond the scope of this answer.
fandangou
Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding purification of water of microbial contaminants by boiling.

1. If water containing microbial contamination is boiled, and the vapor is collected, is the condensed vapor going to be free of microbes? I would think so because if the microbes don't die during boiling, they probably aren't going to be boiled into vapor along with water. But am I missing any pieces? Would microbes somehow find a way to stay onto the water vapor particles?

2. Are there any studies that discuss how microbes in water affect its properties? In other words, what is the ebullioscopic constant of microbes, how microbes affect heat capacity and enthalpy of vaporization of water, etc? I couldn't find anything on this.

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1. A single microbe is many orders of magnitude larger than a water molecule. After all, microbes are composed of water and other organic compounds.

2. Like most living things, microbes are more water than anything else. I don't think you are going to find any physical data on water chock a block with microbes because only pure water is used in heat generation or manufacturing processes. For instance, if the feed water for a boiler contained a sizable fraction of organic material, the boiler would become clogged with the scale formed from this material and possible fail.

fandangou said:
Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding purification of water of microbial contaminants by boiling.

1. If water containing microbial contamination is boiled, and the vapor is collected, is the condensed vapor going to be free of microbes? I would think so because if the microbes don't die during boiling, they probably aren't going to be boiled into vapor along with water. But am I missing any pieces? Would microbes somehow find a way to stay onto the water vapor particles?

2. Are there any studies that discuss how microbes in water affect its properties? In other words, what is the ebullioscopic constant of microbes, how microbes affect heat capacity and enthalpy of vaporization of water, etc? I couldn't find anything on this.

Thank you.

1. It is entirely possible that microbes become aerosolised and carried upward with the vapour (and end up condensing on whatever you're collecting the vapour on or in). However, practically all vegetative cells of human pathogens die when exposed to boiling temperatures under conditions of normal atmospheric pressure. The exception is with spore-forming organisms, that can survive ordinary boiling very easily. The spores can be borne aloft in the vapour and condense, as I've already mentioned. The spores can then revive to become active vegetative cells when they're cooled. If you're boiling a suspension of highly pathogenic Bacillus anthracis, for instance, this is a real concern.

The vegetative cells of some extremophiles can survive boiling, but these are not usually considered human pathogens (they're free-living saprophytes for the most part).

The concern with aerosolisation is the main reason why microbiology laboratories working with human pathogens use biosafety cabinets.

2. I am not aware of any data, per se, for microbial suspensions. I agree with SteamKing's answer. If you really want data, I guess you have to take the empirical approach.

Related to Microbial contaminants in water distillation

1. What are microbial contaminants?

Microbial contaminants are microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi that can be found in water. These contaminants can cause adverse health effects if consumed in high enough quantities.

2. How do microbial contaminants enter water during distillation?

Microbial contaminants can enter water during distillation through various sources such as contaminated water sources, improper handling and storage of distillation equipment, and introduction of contaminants during the distillation process.

3. What are the health risks associated with consuming water contaminated with microbes?

Consuming water contaminated with microbes can lead to a variety of health risks, including gastrointestinal illnesses, respiratory infections, skin infections, and even life-threatening diseases in severe cases. These risks are especially high for immunocompromised individuals, children, and the elderly.

4. How can I ensure that my distilled water is free from microbial contaminants?

To ensure that your distilled water is free from microbial contaminants, it is important to use high-quality, properly maintained distillation equipment and follow proper handling and storage protocols. Additionally, regularly testing the water for microbial contamination and using appropriate disinfection methods can help prevent contamination.

5. Are there any regulations in place for microbial contaminants in water distillation?

Yes, there are regulations in place to ensure the safety of water distillation. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) sets maximum contaminant levels for certain microbes in water, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the quality of bottled water, including microbial contamination. It is important to follow these regulations to ensure the safety of your water.