Micro wind propeller design

In summary: This tool is a great help in designing propellers as it will provide you with results that are close to the ideal. However, it is important to remember that propellers are not just about thrust, they are also about drag and weight. You may want to experiment with different propeller designs until you find one that meets all of your needs.In summary, the propeller designed by the two brothers is similar to the HY mini wind turbine charger. It has a very large surface area and is designed to start rotating quickly.
edgar360
Hi everyone!
I would be so happy if someone could help my little brother and I answer a question for a science project that we have researched ineffectively for hours. We hope to design the most efficient propeller for micro-wind turbine. The purpose of this propeller is to naturally rotate when held in the air by a walking person. Thus, disregarding wind, a mere 3mph (walking speed) oncoming air velocity or less must instigate rotation. Below are our design assumptions for such a propeller:
Propeller between 2”-4” in diameter.
Designed for easy rotational start rather than fast rotation once turning.
Thus, large surface area on blades, accepting the additional weight.
Blades pitched very shallow, and blades as thin as possible.
Propeller mounted on thinnest bar possible (1/16”) more efficiency.
How correct are we about the above? We think the best propeller design would be very similar to that of the HY mini wind-turbine charger (pictures below).
The HY propeller is designed to generate power at a 9mph velocity, whereas ours only needs to rotate freely but at a 3mph velocity. What changes need to be made to the HY propeller design in order to customize it for our purpose? A difference in blade shape or pitch? Please be as descriptive as possible or even better, draw it! We’re determined to win this science contest! (we are not interested in pinwheels due to their looks or anemometers due to their shape)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 4.46.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 4.46.08 PM.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 475
  • Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 4.42.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 4.42.46 PM.png
    9 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your propellor seems to be on the right track, unfortunately I can't give any useful feedback on the blade shape vs. efficiency. I can tell you that most any blade design will spin with a low enough frictional coefficient on the shaft; if you use super-smooth bearings and low viscosity oil you should be good to go.

My concern here is with the 3mph activation speed. That's asking a lot.

It looks like your on the right track.

In this case, more important than blade shape may be blade weight and internal resistance of the motor. Notice that pinwheels are extremely light (as they are made of paper-like products) and have a large blade diameter relative to the hub. A tool which uses blade element theory to design propellers is Javaprop:
<http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javaprop.htm>

This tool will provide you with first approximation quality results. This is because the idea behind blade element theory is that each propeller can be divide into...elements! with the thrust generated by each element approximated by:

[itex]T_{i} = CL_{i}(\alpha_{i},M_{i},RE_{i}) / (1/2 \rho V_{i}^2 S_{i}) [/itex]
Where:
α = angle of attack
M = mach number
RE = reynolds number
CL = lift coefficient as a function of the above three variables
rho = density of air
S = element surface area

The sum of the above equation is the net thrust.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Micro wind propeller design

1. What is the purpose of a micro wind propeller?

A micro wind propeller is designed to capture the kinetic energy of wind and convert it into rotational motion, which can then be used to power small devices or generate electricity.

2. How does the design of a micro wind propeller affect its efficiency?

The design of a micro wind propeller is crucial in determining its efficiency. Factors such as blade shape, number of blades, and angle of attack can greatly impact its ability to harness wind energy. A well-designed propeller will have a high lift-to-drag ratio and minimize turbulence, resulting in optimal efficiency.

3. What materials are commonly used in micro wind propeller design?

Common materials for micro wind propellers include lightweight metals such as aluminum or titanium, as well as composites like carbon fiber. These materials are strong, durable, and can withstand the forces of wind while remaining lightweight for efficient rotation.

4. How do you determine the appropriate size for a micro wind propeller?

The size of a micro wind propeller depends on a few factors, such as the amount of wind available, the power output needed, and the size of the device it will be powering. Generally, smaller blades are more efficient in low wind speeds, while larger blades can capture more energy in high wind speeds.

5. Can a micro wind propeller be used in urban or crowded areas?

Yes, micro wind propellers can be used in urban or crowded areas as long as they are designed properly. They can be installed on rooftops or other structures, and some designs even have the ability to adjust to changing wind directions. However, it is important to consider any regulations or noise restrictions in the area before installing a micro wind propeller.