Micro hydro turbine calculations

In summary, the person needs help determining the gross head and pipe diameter required to produce 5kW of power for over one minute using a micro hydro turbine. They have chosen a pipe diameter of 193.67mm and calculated a flow rate of 0.032m3/s at 80% efficiency. However, there is a discrepancy between their calculated velocity and the velocity obtained from Bernoulli's equation. They are seeking clarification on this and also need help determining the correct pipe diameter if the one they have chosen is incorrect. Their calculations suggest a friction factor of 0.04 and a gross head of 20.27m.
Baggy1
Hi!

I'v been looking into this for way too long and have come to that point where nothing makes sense, hoping you guys could help me out! :smile:

Basically i have been given a net head of 20m and need to provide a micro hydro turbine with 5kW of power for over one minute. What i want to find out is what gross head i would need to produce this and the diameter of the pipe to supply it.

I'v selected a pipe diameter of 193.67mm schedule 80 PVC for now, and these are the calculations i made:

Flow rate = 5000/0.8x1000x9.81x20 = 0.032m3/s at 80% efficiency(turbine)

Velocity = Flow rate/0.25∏x0.19^2 = 1.12 m/s

From Bernoulli's equation i have this:

sqrt(2xgx20)= 19.81 m/s is what i get for velocity

Could someone be kind enough to explain the differences in these results?

Also...

How would i work out the pipe diameter if the one i have written is incorrect? The reason i selected this size was because it would have less friction resulting in a reduced gross head length. Id have to work out the friction losses to find the gross head, this is what i did... not sure its the right way... again

I calculated the friction factor to be 0.04

Gross head - 0.04x20x1.12^2 / 0.19x2x9.81 = 20

Gross head = 20 + 0.27

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Baggy1 said:
Velocity = Flow rate/0.25∏x0.19^2 = 1.12 m/s

From Bernoulli's equation i have this:

sqrt(2xgx20)= 19.81 m/s is what i get for velocity

Could someone be kind enough to explain the differences in these results?

The difference is because your pipe diameter is bigger than you need to generate 5kW.

You could find the "correct" diameter (ignoring friction) by solving
Flow rate/0.25∏ x D^2 = 19.81 m/s
for D.

This is assuming that your turbine can extract all the kinetic energy (OK, 80% of it) from the water at that flow rate and velocity.

Related to Micro hydro turbine calculations

1. How do I calculate the power output of a micro hydro turbine?

To calculate the power output of a micro hydro turbine, you will need to know the flow rate (in cubic feet per second) and the head (in feet) of the water source. You can then use the formula P = Q x H x η, where P is the power output in watts, Q is the flow rate, H is the head, and η is the efficiency of the turbine. The efficiency of the turbine can be obtained from the manufacturer or through testing.

2. What is the optimum head for a micro hydro turbine?

The optimum head for a micro hydro turbine varies depending on the specific turbine design and the desired power output. Generally, a higher head will result in a higher power output, but it is important to consider the cost and feasibility of constructing a high head system. It is best to consult with a professional or use online calculators to determine the optimum head for your specific situation.

3. How do I determine the flow rate of my water source?

To determine the flow rate of your water source, you can use a flow meter or estimate it using the cross-sectional area of the water source and the average velocity of the water. The average velocity can be measured using a flow rod or by timing how long it takes for an object to travel a known distance in the water.

4. Can I use a micro hydro turbine in a low flow water source?

It is possible to use a micro hydro turbine in a low flow water source, but the power output will be significantly lower compared to a high flow source. It is important to consider the flow rate, head, and efficiency of the turbine when determining the feasibility of using a micro hydro turbine in a low flow water source.

5. How do I select the right micro hydro turbine for my project?

When selecting a micro hydro turbine, there are several factors to consider including the head, flow rate, power output, and cost. It is important to choose a turbine that is suitable for your specific water source and desired power output. Consulting with a professional or using online resources can help you make an informed decision.