Michio Kaku, Parallel Universes, and Galactic EZ Bake Ovens

In summary, there is a discussion about the potential to induce a Big Bang by heating up space to extremely high temperatures, as suggested by Dr. Michio Kaku on an episode of Sci Fi Science. There are questions about the possibility and feasibility of this idea, as well as the support from scientific theories and experiments. There is also mention of the speaker's admiration for Dr. Kaku, but also skepticism about his tendency to present theories as facts without experimental support. It is suggested that this conversation should be in the "Beyond the Standard Model" section.
Mr. Q
This is my first post on this forum, I apologize in advance if I placed this in the wrong location.

My question is this:

I'm watching the Science Channel tonight, and on an episode of Sci Fi Science, Dr. Michio Kaku suggests that if you heat space up to say, a couple trillion degrees Fahrenheit, you could potentially induce a Big Bang.

Why might this happen, and what/where is the science that supports it?

Space news on Phys.org
I don't know, but there is a big difference between heating something to recreate the conditions immediately after the big bang, and actually "inducing a big bang". Are you sure which of these he was referring to?

Maybe he is referring to theories that allow for a spatial topology change, sort of like a separate universe splitting off from the one we live in. Even if that was possible isn't that temperature a bit low? Btw, Kaku has a tendency to speak about theories without any experimental jsupport as if they were fact.

EDIT: I think this should be in the "Beyond the Standard Model" section.

Torquil

Last edited:
Being myself a fan of Michio Kaku I can definitely say that I find a lot of what he presents edifying and interesting. But in response to your question, I would pose another one: Is there enough energy in the known universe (assuming the known universe to mean a finite plane) to heat all of space to such temperatures? I kind of doubt it due to the vastness of space and the intervals between massive particles in deep space.

Related to Michio Kaku, Parallel Universes, and Galactic EZ Bake Ovens

1. Who is Michio Kaku?

Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist, futurist, and popular science communicator. He is a professor of theoretical physics at the City College of New York and has authored several books on topics such as string theory and the future of technology.

2. What are parallel universes?

Parallel universes, also known as the multiverse, are theoretical universes that exist alongside our own. These universes may have different physical laws, dimensions, and timelines, allowing for the possibility of infinite alternate realities.

3. How does Michio Kaku's work relate to parallel universes?

Michio Kaku has proposed a theory called "parallel worlds theory," which suggests that parallel universes may exist as bubbles in the fabric of space-time. He also believes that these universes may one day be detectable through advanced technology.

4. What is a galactic EZ Bake Oven?

A galactic EZ Bake Oven is a playful term coined by Michio Kaku to describe the potential of harnessing the energy of a star to power advanced technology. This concept is based on the idea that a civilization advanced enough to harness the energy of an entire galaxy could potentially create devices with unimaginable power.

5. Are parallel universes and galactic EZ Bake Ovens possible?

While these concepts are currently only theoretical, many scientists, including Michio Kaku, believe that they could be possible in the distant future. However, much more research and technological advancements are needed before we can fully understand and potentially access parallel universes and harness the power of a galaxy.