How do I construct a cubic inequality with specific solution sets?

• Thread starter iluvrotinsaag
  • Start date
In summary, a cubic inequality can be solved by constructing an equation with the desired solution set and checking points in between to determine the correct sign (> or <) for the inequality. In this case, the solution set is -2<x<0 and x>3, and the corresponding inequality is x^3 - x^2 - 6x>0. To find the complement set, the inequality would be x^3 + 5x^2 + 6x<0.
iluvrotinsaag
Math problems!

I understand how to solve this inequality, but i do not know what sign to put (greater than or less than) in my answer. I would really appreciate it if someone could explain this concept to me. THanks

Write a cubic inequality that has this solution:
-2<X<0, x>3
(X)(X+2)(X-3)
(X^2 +2X) (X-3)
X^3 - X^2 - 6X (< or >) 0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Whoa, hold on. What's the inequality?

x>3 into the expression x^3 - x^2 - 6x?

What's the -2<x<0?

cookiemonster

teh cubic inequality is:
-2<X<0 and x>3

I've never heard of a cubic inequality before (other than a cubic polynomial used in an inequality), so I'll just butt out of this before I make a fool of myself again.

cookiemonster

you can always check if you have the inequality the right way round you do not need a method for checking if its "<" or ">" other than subbing in points

for example
when x=4, the statement x> 3 is true
and the statement 4^3-4^2-6*4=24 > 0 is true so the answer better be
x^3 - x^2 - 6x> 0
not x^3 - x^2 - 6x <0.

There is no mystery here just sketch the curve y=x^3 - x^2 - 6x
and notice there are two regions above the x-axis, one region has the property that all x values are between -2 and 0 (-2< x< 0) and the other region is x>3

Apparently the problem is not to "solve an inequality" but to construct an inequality having all numbers between -2 and 0 and all numbers above 3 as solutions.

Start by constructing an equation:

(x-(-2))(x-0)(x-3)= (x+2)(x)(x-3)= x3+ 5x2+ 6x= 0 is 0 at exactly -2, 0, and 3. Since a polynomial is continuous, it can change from positive to negative and vice-versa only where it is 0.

Now check what happens in between: at x= 1, for example,
13+ 5(12)+ 6(1)= 1+ 5+ 6= 11> 0. Therefore, the inequality x3+ 5x2+ 6x> 0 has x<-2 and 0< x< 3 as solution set.

IF the problem had asked for the complement set: -2< x< 0, x> 3, then we would have tried x= -1, say, and found that
(-1)3+ 5(-1)2+ 6(-1)= -1+5-6= -2< 0.
The inequality x3+ 5x2+ 6x< 0 has that solution set.

1. What are some strategies for solving math problems?

Some strategies for solving math problems include breaking the problem into smaller parts, working backwards, using diagrams or visuals, and trying different approaches.

2. How can I improve my math problem-solving skills?

To improve your math problem-solving skills, you can practice regularly, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and review your mistakes to identify areas for improvement.

3. How do I know which operation to use in a math problem?

To determine which operation to use in a math problem, carefully read and understand the problem, identify the key information and relationships, and choose the operation that best represents the situation described in the problem.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a math problem?

If you get stuck on a math problem, try taking a break to clear your mind, ask for help from a friend or teacher, or try a different approach to the problem.

5. How can I apply math to real-life situations?

You can apply math to real-life situations by using it to solve problems or make decisions in various fields such as finance, engineering, and science. You can also use math in everyday tasks like budgeting, cooking, and measuring.