Switching from broadband to dsl with Windows 2000 server

In summary, the speaker installed Win2k server on a friend's PC and configured the internet on their broadband connection successfully. However, when the PC was returned to the friend and they tried to connect the DSL connection, it did not work. The speaker believes that the DSL modem may need to be restarted and asks for help. It is later revealed that the ISP requires the MAC address to be authenticated and the friend may also need to enter a username and password for the connection.
megashawn
Science Advisor
I just installed Win2k server on a friends pc, and configured the internet on my broadband connection. It worked fine, downloaded all the stuff I needed, etc.

Well, I return the pc to my friend, who takes it home and plugs her DSL connection in, boots it up and now the internet does not work.

So I figure that it needs to be reconfigured, but as I am not sitting there at the computer, I cannot explain to her what need be done.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Its not telling her normal messages like "Network cable unplugged", but simply acting like there is no connection at all.

She is in the process of restarting the DSL modem, which may be the culprit.

Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Let me guess. You have a router, but she does not.

Before internet will work, she has to call her ISP and give them her MAC address. ISPs require MAC address authenticate so people can't just start using DSL or cable internet that they did not pay for.

So has she tried to redetect the internet settings? I think it is under Internet Options->Connections-> The button on the top.

Like ShawnD asked, Is she behind a router? Maybe DHCP isn't working.

Well, the isp already had her mac address, I only changed the OS.

And I was behind a router. But it was quite simple fix really.

They had a install cd that automatically configures the pc to use the dsl connection. I, having never messed with DSL had no clue about this. Its working now, I thank you for your help.

She may also have to type in a username and password for the connection.

- Warren

1. How do I switch from broadband to DSL on a Windows 2000 server?

To switch from broadband to DSL on a Windows 2000 server, you will need to first check if your server has a built-in DSL modem or if you will need to purchase one. Once you have the necessary hardware, you can then configure the DSL connection by going to the Control Panel, selecting Network and Dial-up Connections, and then creating a new DSL connection. Follow the prompts to enter your DSL provider's information and complete the setup process.

2. Will switching from broadband to DSL affect my server's network settings?

Yes, switching from broadband to DSL will require you to change your server's network settings. This is because DSL uses a different type of connection protocol than broadband. You will need to update your server's IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS servers to match those provided by your DSL provider.

3. Can I use my existing broadband router for DSL?

It depends on the type of router you have. Some routers have a built-in DSL modem and can be used for both broadband and DSL connections. However, if your router does not have a built-in DSL modem, you will need to purchase a separate DSL modem or a router with a built-in DSL modem in order to switch to DSL.

4. Will I experience any downtime when switching from broadband to DSL?

Yes, you may experience some downtime when switching from broadband to DSL. This is because you will need to physically disconnect your broadband connection and connect the DSL connection. Additionally, you will need to configure the DSL connection on your server, which may take some time. It is recommended to schedule the switch during a time when your server is not in use to minimize any potential downtime.

5. Is it possible to switch back to broadband if I am not satisfied with DSL?

Yes, it is possible to switch back to broadband if you are not satisfied with DSL. However, you may incur additional costs for canceling your DSL service and reactivating your broadband service. It is best to thoroughly research and compare different broadband and DSL options before making a switch to avoid these potential extra costs.