Opinions on what career for physics students

In summary, the conversation revolves around discussing various career options in the physics forum, with a focus on medical biochemistry and medicine. Participants share their experiences and opinions, highlighting the flexibility and job opportunities in these fields. The conversation also touches on the importance of pursuing a career that brings personal fulfillment and balance in life.
benzun_1999
Hi Everyone,

I feel that there are many students just like me in the physics forum who would like to have a good career. I also know that there are many experienced professionals in this forum. In this forum I invite the professionals are students to give their opinion about various career available know. My mutual aim is to select a good career from your opinion.

-Benzun
All for god

Physics news on Phys.org
I teach kids aged 13 to 18 in a very good Independent school. I love my job - it is such fun. Also, I have 18 weeks holiday a year (yes 18!) and have quality time with my daughter as she is growing up. That for me is priceless!

I've also worked in a deprived inner city school - that was a nightmare at times, although the job satisfaction of seeing such deprived kids occasionally do so well made it worth it.

Certainly worth considering.

dont tell me that everyone here is a student.

If you are a student please tell us what are you studying now(i mean the course).

Master Medical Biochemistry, the course I am taking? Biomolecular Sciences. Career? Definately research related in this field. Not sure whether to go with an academic hospital, university or industry though..

Medicine. (If you don't mind being sleep deprived for the rest of your life.) You can make it what you will. If cost is an issue, do what I did, which was to pursue an MD PhD track, only because it pays for tuition.(This is only an issue in the US) (You get made fun of by the real phD students though. ) If you are a lab rat, you can easily pursue that field of study for the rest of your life. If you like clinical detective work and teaching, you can pursue clinical research. If you decide you hate research and grovelling for grants, you can dive right back into private practice. If you get sick of private practice, you can switch back into the research arena. There is a lot of flexibility and it's great fun!

Originally posted by Monique
Master Medical Biochemistry, the course I am taking? Biomolecular Sciences. Career? Definately research related in this field. Not sure whether to go with an academic hospital, university or industry though..

wow biochemistry, should be very interesting.Are there good career oppurtunities for it?

-benzun
Please forgive me if i have asked anything wrong.

Originally posted by adrenaline
Medicine. (If you don't mind being sleep deprived for the rest of your life.) You can make it what you will. If cost is an issue, do what I did, which was to pursue an MD PhD track, only because it pays for tuition.(This is only an issue in the US) (You get made fun of by the real phD students though. ) If you are a lab rat, you can easily pursue that field of study for the rest of your life. If you like clinical detective work and teaching, you can pursue clinical research. If you decide you hate research and grovelling for grants, you can dive right back into private practice. If you get sick of private practice, you can switch back into the research arena. There is a lot of flexibility and it's great fun!

true that medicine is a good field to study. you are never out of job.

1. What career options are available for physics students?

There are a variety of career options for physics students, including research positions in academia or government, engineering roles in various industries, teaching positions, and data analysis or consulting roles in the private sector.

2. What skills do physics students gain that are valuable in the workforce?

Physics students develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills that are highly sought after in many industries. They also gain experience in data analysis, mathematical modeling, and experimental design, which are applicable to a wide range of careers.

3. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in physics?

While a graduate degree (Master's or PhD) is typically required for research positions in academia or government, there are many career opportunities available for physics students with a bachelor's degree. These may include engineering roles, teaching positions, or technical positions in various industries.

4. Can physics students pursue non-scientific careers?

Absolutely! While a physics degree may seem specialized, the skills and knowledge gained can be applied to many different fields. Some physics students go on to work in finance, law, medicine, or even entrepreneurship.

5. What advice do you have for physics students trying to choose a career path?

My advice would be to explore a variety of career options and gain experience through internships, research projects, or part-time jobs to see what truly interests you. Networking with professionals in different fields can also help you make an informed decision about your career path.