Calculating Net Torque on Counterweight System

• Thread starter Antepolleo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the problem involves calculating the net torque on a system consisting of a counterweight attached to a spool. The only torque being applied to the system is from the tension of the string, which can be calculated using the equations T = m(g - a) and T = mR(g - a). However, if we consider the entire system (including the counterweight and spool) as a whole, the weight of the counterweight (mg) also exerts a torque about the axis, which can be calculated using the equation Torque = mgR. When solving for the acceleration of the mass, treating the system as a whole results in the same answer as treating each body separately.
Antepolleo
I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong here. Here's the problem:

A 5.40 kg counterweight is attached to a light cord, which is wound around a spool (refer to Fig. 10.20). The spool is a uniform solid cylinder of radius 7.00 cm and mass 2.00 kg.

10-20.gif

Ok... the first question is:

What is the net torque on the system about the point O?

Here's my take on the situation... the only torque being applied to the system is from the tension T of the string.

T = tension of string
m = mass of counterweight
a = acceleration of counterweight
R = radius of wheel in meters
M = mass of pulley

[tex]T - mg = -ma[/tex]

[tex]T = m(g - a)[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\sum\tau &= TR \\
&= mR(g - a)
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Also...

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\tau &= I\alpha\\
TR &= \frac{1}{2}MR^2\alpha\\
\alpha &= \frac{2T}{MR}
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Now we know that:

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
a &= R\alpha\\

a &= R(\frac{2T}{MR}) \\
a &= \frac{2T}{M}

\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

So...

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
T &= m(g - \frac{2T}{M})\\
T &= mg(\frac{M}{M + 2m})
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

So am I right in saying that the net torque on the system is

[tex] \tau_{net} = [mg(\frac{M}{M + 2m})]R[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Antepolleo

So am I right in saying that the net torque on the system is

[tex] \tau_{net} = [mg(\frac{M}{M + 2m})]R[/tex]
That depends on what you mean by "the system". You calculated (perfectly, as far as I can see) the net torque on the disk.

If the question really was find the net torque on "the system" (meaning mass plus disk), then no. (That's a bit of a trick question.)

Originally posted by Doc Al
That depends on what you mean by "the system". You calculated (perfectly, as far as I can see) the net torque on the disk.

If the question really was find the net torque on "the system" (meaning mass plus disk), then no. (That's a bit of a trick question.)

Hmm... if we call the mass plus the disk the system, how would I go about finding the torque on the system? I'm afraid I don't know where to start.

Hmm... if we call the mass plus the disk the system, how would I go about finding the torque on the system? I'm afraid I don't know where to start.
Here's a hint: the only forces that can contribute to the net torque on the total system are external forces.

Here's a hint: the only forces that can contribute to the net torque on the total system are external forces.

The only external force acting the system is gravity... so perhaps its just mg! But why would that be a "torque"?

I'm afraid these angular concepts aren't as intuitive for me as the linear concepts. Am I way off?

The only external force acting the system is gravity... so perhaps its just mg! But why would that be a "torque"?

I'm afraid these angular concepts aren't as intuitive for me as the linear concepts. Am I way off?
Yes, the only (unbalanced) external force is mg; what torque does that force exert about the axis?

(You are not off at all!)

Yes, the only (unbalanced) external force is mg; what torque does that force exert about the axis?

(You are not off at all!)

The force of gravity acts through the center of mass of both objects, so I don't see how it could create any torque. Unless it has something to do with the center of mass of the entire system... but I don't think that would be something that would be included in this problem set.

The force of gravity acts through the center of mass of both objects, so I don't see how it could create any torque. Unless it has something to do with the center of mass of the entire system... but I don't think that would be something that would be included in this problem set.
Yes, but what's important is: does the force exert a torque about the axis?

The weight of the disk (and the force that holds it up) act right through the axis. So they exert no torque.

But the weight of the mass (mg) does exert a torque (about O) = mgR !

Yes, but what's important is: does the force exert a torque about the axis?

The weight of the disk (and the force that holds it up) act right through the axis. So they exert no torque.

But the weight of the mass (mg) does exert a torque (about O) = mgR !

Oh of course! Because the counterweight is connected to the pulley, it transfers the force exterted on it due to gravity into a torque about the axis.

I see it now. Thanks for your help!

Oh of course! Because the counterweight is connected to the pulley, it transfers the force exterted on it due to gravity into a torque about the axis.
Careful about thinking about anything "transfering" because it's connected to the pulley. If I cut the rope, the torque about 0 is still mgR ! (by definition of torque) No, you're not going crazy.

Just for fun: Treating the system as a whole, find the acceleration of the mass. Like this:

Torquenet = mgR = Inetα

Then compare to the answer you get using your original method of treating each body (mass, disk) separately.

Careful about thinking about anything "transfering" because it's connected to the pulley. If I cut the rope, the torque about 0 is still mgR ! (by definition of torque) No, you're not going crazy.

Just for fun: Treating the system as a whole, find the acceleration of the mass. Like this:

Torquenet = mgR = Inetα

Then compare to the answer you get using your original method of treating each body (mass, disk) separately.

*blinks twice*

*passes out*

I'm interested in understanding this instead of just memorizing the problems and equations, so if you'll bear with me I'd really appreciate it.

How is the torque of the system still mgR if there is force acting to rotate an object?

How is the torque of the system still mgR if there is force acting to rotate an object?
I don't understand the question. Torque = Force x R, where R is the moment arm.

(Keep going... I'll be back in a few minutes.)

I don't understand the question. Torque = Force x R, where R is the moment arm.

(Keep going... I'll be back in a few minutes.)

Hmmm, maybe my definitions are mixed up. I like to think of torque as the part of a force that goes into rotating an object about a defined axis.

How would you define moment arm?

How about this definition of torque. The torque about the origin of Force (F) acting at position (R, a vector measured from the origin):

Τ = RF sinθ , where θ is the angle between the position vector and the force vector. Make any sense at all?

"Moment arm" is an old fashioned term for the perpendicular distance from the line on which the force acts and the axis; it equals R sinθ

How about this definition of torque. The torque about the origin of Force (F) acting at position (R, a vector measured from the origin):

Τ = RF sinθ , where θ is the angle between the position vector and the force vector. Make any sense at all?

"Moment arm" is an old fashioned term for the perpendicular distance from the line on which the force acts and the axis; it equals R sinθ

I'm getting that... I'm just trying to get a grasp on the significance of torque, as it applies to motion and force in general.

To do this I'm trying to equate torque with something that I can easily get a handle on. I can understand the component of a force that causes an object to rotate, and that appears to be what torque is in essence. As the radious increases, so does the torque, meaning that a greater force is required to angularly accelerate the object.

To do this I'm trying to equate torque with something that I can easily get a handle on. I can understand the component of a force that causes an object to rotate, and that appears to be what torque is in essence. As the radious increases, so does the torque, meaning that a greater force is required to angularly accelerate the object.
Let's not get lost in semantics. I'm sure you have the right idea, but I don't like that last sentence. As the radius increases you need less force to get the same angular acceleration (if the rotational inertia remains the same).

Think of a wrench. The longer it is, the easier it is to exert torque on a bolt. (I'm sure you know that! :smile: )

Let's not get lost in semantics. I'm sure you have the right idea, but I don't like that last sentence. As the radius increases you need less force to get the same angular acceleration (if the rotational inertia remains the same).

Think of a wrench. The longer it is, the easier it is to exert torque on a bolt. (I'm sure you know that! :smile: )

Heh, I messed up a bit in my though process... you're right.

Here's the second part of the problem:

When the counterweight has a speed v, the pulley has an angular speed ω = v/R. Determine the total angular momentum of the system about O.

Now that we've changed my concept of what system we're working in, I'm not sure how to tackle this.

Now that we've changed my concept of what system we're working in, I'm not sure how to tackle this.
You know the angular momentum of the disk. For the angular momentum of the mass, go back to the basic definition:

Angular momentum = R x Linear Momentum x Sinθ (look familiar?)

Make sense? It's a bit strange to talk of the angular momentum of something going straight, but you certainly can do it!

The total angular momentum of the system is the sum of the angular momenta of the parts.

from where do you know the angular momentum of the disk?

how do you do the cross product?

1. What is net torque in a counterweight system?

Net torque is the measure of the rotational force acting on a counterweight system. It is the product of the force applied to the system and the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate net torque in a counterweight system?

To calculate net torque, you need to multiply the force applied to the system by the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the equation: Net Torque = Force x Distance.

3. What factors affect the net torque in a counterweight system?

The net torque in a counterweight system is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied. Other factors such as friction and the weight of the counterweight can also play a role.

4. How does the net torque in a counterweight system affect its stability?

The net torque in a counterweight system can affect its stability by either making it more stable or less stable. If the net torque is zero, the system is in equilibrium and is stable. However, if the net torque is non-zero, the system will experience rotational acceleration and become less stable.

5. How can you adjust the net torque in a counterweight system?

The net torque in a counterweight system can be adjusted by changing the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation, or the angle at which the force is applied. By adjusting these factors, the net torque can be increased or decreased to achieve the desired stability of the system.