Solving the Inverse of h(x) = √(x-1) with x > -1 in IB Math Methods

• Thread starter Astronomer107
  • Start date
In summary, when finding the inverse of h(x) = (/sqrt{x-1}), x > -1, the inequality x > -1 explicitly describes the domain of the function but is not used in the calculation. The domain of h(x) is the set of real numbers over the interval (-1, ∞), excluding x-values that result in an even root of a negative number. The range of the inverse function, y = x^2 + 1, is x ≥ 0. A more interesting problem would be to find the inverse of h(x) = sqrt(x-1), x > 2, where the inverse function would have the restriction x > 1.
Astronomer107
Hi, I'm back with another question (IB Math Methods). It's kind of easy and I don't know if I'm stupid or having a brain lapse but it is this:

When finding the inverse of h(x) = [tex](/sqrt{x-1})[/tex], x > -1,
I got y = x^2 + 1, but what do I do with that x > -1 ? THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not something you usually need to worry about.

Originally posted by Astronomer107
When finding the inverse of h(x) = [tex](/sqrt{x-1})[/tex], x > -1,
I got y = x^2 + 1, but what do I do with that x > -1 ? THANKS! [/B]

The inequality, x > -1, explicitly describes the domain of the function h(x), but it is not used in the actual calculation. Normally when we see equations the domain is implied by the expression itself.

So, for h(x), the domain is the set of real numbers over the interval [tex](-1,\infty)[/tex]. It excludes x-values that result in an even root of a negative number.

Cheers.

By the way, you have "h(x)= /sqrtx-1".

I won't complain about the "/" since I assume that was a formatting character that didn't interpret properly on my reader. However, you really should have "sqrt(x-1)" since many of us would interpret "sqrtx-1" as "sqrt(x)- 1". When in doubt use parentheses!

In h(x)= sqrt(x-1), x>-1 I have no idea what the "x> -1" could mean! Assuming real numbers, sqrt(x-1) (or sqrt(x)-1) is defined only for x>= +1. It certainly is not defined for, say, x= -1/2 or x= 0.

It would make sense to say "h(x)= sqrt(x-1), x>= +1" or "h(x)= sqrt(x+1), x>= -1".

Since y= sqrt(x-1) is never negative, the "range" is y>= 0 and so the domain of the inverse function, y= x^2+ 1 is x>= 0.

A more interesting problem would be to find the inverse of
h(x)= sqrt(x-1), x> 2. If x>2, then sqrt(x-1)> sqrt(2-1)= 1.
The inverse function would be given by y= x^2+ 1 still but now with the restriction that x> 1.

1. What is a "Stupid-yet-needs-to-be-answered Question"?

A "Stupid-yet-needs-to-be-answered Question" is a question that may seem silly or trivial, but actually has a significant impact on our daily lives. These questions are often overlooked or ignored, but they can lead to important discoveries and advancements.

2. Why should we pay attention to "Stupid-yet-needs-to-be-answered Questions"?

Many groundbreaking scientific discoveries have been made by exploring seemingly insignificant questions. By paying attention to these "Stupid-yet-needs-to-be-answered Questions", scientists can gain new insights and make important breakthroughs in their research.

3. How do scientists determine which "Stupid-yet-needs-to-be-answered Questions" to study?

There is no set formula for determining which questions to study, but scientists often look for questions that have practical applications or that challenge commonly held beliefs. They may also consider questions that have not yet been fully answered or that have multiple potential explanations.

4. Can anyone ask a "Stupid-yet-needs-to-be-answered Question"?

Absolutely! Curiosity and the willingness to ask seemingly silly questions are traits that are highly valued in the scientific community. Anyone can come up with a "Stupid-yet-needs-to-be-answered Question" and potentially contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

5. How can we encourage more "Stupid-yet-needs-to-be-answered Questions" in scientific research?

To encourage the exploration of "Stupid-yet-needs-to-be-answered Questions" in scientific research, we must create an environment that values curiosity and encourages out-of-the-box thinking. This can be achieved through open-mindedness, collaboration, and a willingness to challenge traditional ideas and beliefs.