Car, Coffee, and static friction

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with a coffee cup sliding on a car dashboard, with a question about using acceleration and deceleration interchangeably. The person also mentions a lack of formulas and the possibility of finding the coefficient of static friction. A formula for equilibrium is suggested and used to find the coefficient of static friction.
KingNothing
Here is a problem from a worksheet I have..I'm having a little trouble with it. My teacher neglected to explain most of it:

A coffee cup on a dashboard of a cars slides forward if the driver decelerates from 40 km/h to rest in 3.5 seconds, but doesn't slide if it takes any longer.

Now, I know everything is done in m/s, so that's 100/9 m/s. I know what the problem is asking and everything..but I don't have any formulas that I can use (I don't think)...in this case, can acceleration be used the same as deceleration? Is it okay to just put it in an equation as a negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question even asking? An even better question is, what is the question? What you quoted was a statement.

Acceleration and deceleration can be used the same way.

Here are some formulas you can try using:
F = ma
Fd = (1/2)mv^2
F = uN

Sorry. It's a very outdated book. That's what the question says...I'm 99% sure we are supposed to figure the coefficient of static friction.

Is it impossible? That just kinda came to me...we don't know the mass of the cup.

Originally posted by Decker
I'm 99% sure we are supposed to figure the coefficient of static friction.
Ok that makes things easier

A coffee cup on a dashboard of a cars slides forward if the driver decelerates from 40 km/h to rest in 3.5 seconds, but doesn't slide if it takes any longer

setup a formula for equilibrium and the answer writes itself.

F = F
uN = ma
umg = ma
ug = a
u(9.8) = (40km/h * 1h/3600s * 1000m/km)/3.5s
u = 0.324

Last edited:

What is the connection between a car, coffee, and static friction?

There is no direct connection between a car, coffee, and static friction. However, all three have significant roles in our daily lives and can be related through scientific principles.

How does static friction affect the movement of a car?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. In the case of a car, static friction is responsible for providing the necessary grip between the tires and the road to prevent the car from slipping or sliding.

Why does coffee stick to the sides of a cup?

Coffee sticks to the sides of a cup due to static friction. When coffee is poured into a cup, the liquid comes into contact with the surface of the cup. The molecules in the coffee and the cup's surface become attracted to each other, creating a force that holds the coffee in place.

Can static friction be beneficial?

Yes, static friction can be beneficial in many ways. In the case of a car, static friction provides the necessary traction for the car to move forward. In everyday life, static friction also allows us to walk without slipping and hold objects without them slipping from our grasp.

How can we reduce static friction?

Static friction can be reduced by using lubricants or decreasing the contact between two surfaces. For example, adding oil or grease to a machine's moving parts can reduce static friction and increase its efficiency. In the case of a car, reducing the weight of the car or using larger tires can also decrease static friction.