Do You Really Need a 64-Bit Processor for Everyday Use?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, 64-bit PC's are not necessary for home users and Apple just released their own. They are for servers, supercomputers, and other big processing needs. Intel has launched their Itanium, so AMD must recover some of the market. As long as you can run all of the software you need with your present machine at a speed that is adequate, you don't need to upgrade. Intel is very good at creating technology that allows backwards compatability.
Saint
How urgent do we need 64-bit PC ?

AMD will launch its Athlon 64 2 months later.
Apple just launched it this week.
Do we really need it? If you are a homeuser who need a PC to play games, surf net, type documents, do some light programmings, need 64-bit ? [?]

Computer science news on Phys.org
1. From what I've read those 64 bit babies are made for servers, super-computers and other big processing needs...
2. Intel has launced Itanium so AMD must recover (some of) the market
3. As a home user I don't need one but it would be cool to have it

PS: I've read that the work for 128 bit processors is on the way too...

It's not that you need one, but the different sectors of the computer industry feed off each other. Whenever chipmakers relaase a new chip, the software companies take advantage of that and produce software that takes advantage of the added speed. In doing so it increases the hard drive and memory requirements, thus forcing those sectors to also upgrade. Have you noticed that trend before? new software comes out, but the minimum hard drive, memory and CPU requirements keep going up and up. This fuels the entire industry of chipmakers, pc,software and hardware manufactures in a self contained, self generating industry. Which is why technology is so sucessful in the marketplace. You don't "need a 64-bit chip, but I bet within 6 months every new game you buy will require it.

And are they releasing the chips as fast as they make them? And loose all that revenue of 1 chip by releasing a faster one too early? heck no! They have a predetermined time cycle for each chip, and release based on that timetable regardless of how far ahead of themselves they get. And you bet your ass they are way ahead of that release cycle. I'm sure they've reached, if not broken the 10GHZ mark already.

Doesn't matter what you "think you need" Intel will "TELL YOU" what you need, and you'll be forced to upgrade. "welcome, you have been assimilated" I say Intel, because for the most part, they set the bar for new technology.

Basically stated, if you can run all of the software that you need with your present machine, at a speed that is adequate to your needs, you don't need to upgrade.

Software will drive the upgrade. When some software comes out that you feel you must have, for whatever reason, and it requires 64 bit processor, then it will be time to upgrade.

Actually, Intel is very good at creating technology that allows backwards compatability. It would be easier for them just to create CPUs that do not support old software, forcing total system and complete software library upgrades. These total breaks are rare and usually driven by the Operating System writers, such as MS phasing out real mode DOS in Win ME, which eliminated many DOS programs from easy use.

1. Why do we need 64-bit PC?

64-bit PCs have the ability to process more data and perform more complex tasks compared to 32-bit PCs. This is especially useful for tasks that require a large amount of memory, such as gaming, video editing, and data analysis.

2. What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit PC?

The main difference between 32-bit and 64-bit PC is the amount of memory they can access. 32-bit PCs can only access up to 4GB of memory, while 64-bit PCs can access much more, usually up to 128GB. This allows 64-bit PCs to handle larger and more complex data sets.

3. Can I upgrade my 32-bit PC to 64-bit?

No, you cannot upgrade a 32-bit PC to 64-bit. This requires a complete hardware change, including the processor, motherboard, and memory. It is recommended to purchase a new 64-bit PC instead.

4. Do all programs work on 64-bit PCs?

Most programs are now designed to work on both 32-bit and 64-bit PCs. However, there are some older programs that may not be compatible with 64-bit PCs. It is best to check the system requirements of the program before installing it on a 64-bit PC.

5. Is it worth getting a 64-bit PC if I don't do heavy computing tasks?

If you only use your computer for basic tasks such as web browsing, email, and word processing, a 32-bit PC may be sufficient. However, as technology advances and more programs become optimized for 64-bit, it may be beneficial to invest in a 64-bit PC for future use.