Is Death the Only Truth? Exploring Lies and Truth in Hamlet

• Thread starter jb
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is working on a project for school about Hamlet and the theme of truth and lies. They ask for help finding quotes from living people who have lied and quotes from famous dead figures who have told the truth. They also request to avoid any lies related to religion or politics. The speaker also mentions a previous project they did which included a controversial joke, but they do not want to plagiarize it for their current project.
jb
i'm working on a project for school, it's an open-ended assignment on hamlet (i love a lack of direction considering i have no creative vision). my idea was to demonstrate the idea that the dead tells the truth while the living lies, by having lies outside of a coffin and truths inside.

so if you guys could help me find some lies said by living people and some good, truthful quotes of famous dead guys, that would be great...

(and try to keep the bush and religious lies to a minimum :wink: )

Physics news on Phys.org
People have lied in the past, and they also lie today.

Whether more people lied in the past or not is uncertain. But perhaps it is more difficult to get away with lying today as you can do more checks e.g. on internet.

"Read my lips. No new taxes." - George H.W. Bush (the father)
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman." - Bill Clinton

Anything that the former Iraqi Information Minister said (www.ilovetheiraqiinformationminister.com,[/url] [PLAIN]www.ilovetheiraqiinformationminister.com, www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com)

Nixon must have good amount of lies about Watergate. John Poindexter lied about the Iran-Contra Scandal, and Oliver North probably did, as well.

As for dead guys...um...Brutus?

-Anybody who claimed to have spoken to god.
-Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can give you my Audial Hamlet Medley I did in high school to hand in, if you want

You'll probably have to splice in your own teacher's name to a part of it, but other than that it's good to go.

It has a brief section wherein one of our friends declares that he devirginized the English teacher's little sister on a student body camping trip, but it shouldn't be any trouble to adjust

i don't think I'm down with the whole plagiarism thing.

besides, it was due last tuesday.

maybe someone should lock this up...

1. What is the definition of a lie?

A lie is a false statement made with the intention to deceive or mislead another person.

2. Why do people lie?

People lie for a variety of reasons, including to protect themselves or others, to gain an advantage, to avoid punishment, or to maintain a certain image or reputation.

3. How can you tell if someone is lying?

There are several possible signs that someone may be lying, such as avoiding eye contact, fidgeting, inconsistent or vague answers, or a change in their tone of voice. However, these signs are not always reliable and the only way to truly know if someone is lying is to have evidence or witness the truth.

4. Are there different types of lies?

Yes, there are different types of lies, including white lies (minor or harmless lies), pathological lies (compulsive or habitual lying), and self-serving lies (lies told for personal gain).

5. How can we combat the spread of lies?

To combat the spread of lies, it is important to fact-check information before sharing it, to seek out diverse perspectives and sources, and to have open and respectful communication with those who hold different beliefs. It is also important to hold individuals and institutions accountable for spreading misinformation and to promote critical thinking skills in education.