Is There a Reason for the Unique Shape of This Galaxy?

• Thread starter Tyger
  • Start date
In summary: In summary, the Hoag Object is a ring galaxy consisting of several examples of ring galaxies. There is also a blob of old (reddish) stars in the middle, and a ring of young blue stars. One theory is that it used to be a barred spiral, but something knocked the bar out.
Tyger
It's a galaxy in the form of a torus and the gas, dust and star forming regions lie on the surface of the torus.

http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=10620506&w=640&h=800

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think it is really fascinating! I thought a taurus was a bull?
Why is it shaped the way it is?

a torus is a bulge or large swell. it is very weird though.

Originally posted by Tyger
It's a galaxy in the form of a torus and the gas, dust and star forming regions lie on the surface of the torus.

http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=10620506&w=640&h=800

Hoag's object is a ring galaxy---several examples of ring galaxies are known----there is another in the picture

blob of old (reddish) stars in the middle
a ring of young blue stars---and star formation

one theory is it used to be a barred spiral and something
knocked the bar out

There is a ring galaxy called Cartwheel which has evidence of its center having been crashed thru by another small galaxy which is visible leaving the scene and is already 250,000 LY away.

There's a theory that a collision at the center could cause an expanding ripple of star formation out like a rock going thru the surface of a pond.

Greetings !

Yeah, I've seen it some time ago in the news.
Can't remember if they said why does it look
like that, but I suppose that statisticly if you
look at enough galaxies you'd expect one to
look like that. Anyway, what's that in the middle ?
A quasar ? Just some star that was in the way ?
Also, it's not exactly a torus because the
matter seems evenly ditributed, not in a curved
empty cylindrical form.

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by HazZy
a torus is a bulge or large swell. it is very weird though.

A torus is actually like a donut.

oh well, i was using the definition of a torus in anatomy, thought they would be the same.

Originally posted by drag
Greetings !

Yeah, I've seen it some time ago in the news.
Can't remember if they said why does it look
like that, but I suppose that statisticly if you
look at enough galaxies you'd expect one to
look like that. [blue]Anyway, what's that in the middle ?
A quasar ? Just some star that was in the way ?
Also, it's not exactly a torus because the
matter seems evenly ditributed, not in a curved
empty cylindrical form.?[/blue]

The yellow nucleus is just a bunch of older stars. The best explanation of the formation is a galaxy passed nearby, stripping it somewhat.

Cartwheel galaxy-
http://ftp.seds.org/pub/images/hst/Cartwheel.jpg

Another picture of Hoag Object, more realistic of what a person would see, I thought it was interesting-
http://www.geocities.com/benoit_schillings/hoag.jpg

1. What do you make of this experiment?

As a scientist, I analyze the data and evidence from the experiment to draw conclusions and make interpretations about the phenomenon being studied.

2. How do you approach interpreting data in your research?

I use scientific methods and statistical analysis to carefully analyze and interpret data. This involves identifying patterns, determining significance, and considering alternative explanations.

3. What factors do you consider when drawing conclusions from your research?

When drawing conclusions, I take into account the reliability of the data, the validity of the experimental design, and the consistency of the results with existing scientific knowledge.

4. How do you handle unexpected or conflicting results in your research?

Unexpected or conflicting results are common in scientific research and can provide valuable insights. I carefully review the experimental design and data analysis to identify any potential errors or biases. If the results are still unexplainable, I may propose new hypotheses for further investigation.

5. Can you provide an example of a significant conclusion you have drawn from your research?

One significant conclusion I have drawn from my research is that there is a correlation between increased carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere and global warming. Through careful data analysis and comparison with previous studies, I was able to confidently support this conclusion.