Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MHB Awards - General Information

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

We are starting our first ever MHB awards process!! :)

As of now we plan on doing this twice a year to recognize all of the great users we have on our site. You should see 5 nomination threads right now where you can post your picks for various categories of recognition. In addition to these 5 categories the staff will also give out a number of different awards that they vote on separately.

We have put a good amount of thought into these categories but if you have any suggestions or comments please let us know and we will take them into consideration for the next time we have our awards in December.

Thank you for participating and good luck to all of the potential award recipients! (Clapping)

Jameson (on behalf of MHB Staff)

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Ain't there any rules for nominations , like DON'T NOMINATE YOURSELF ! (Lipssealed)

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Hello,
I would suggest an ide about a reward for "Questions from Other Sites" as I seen some member spend alot time daily to help other from exemple "Yahoo" and one of them should get a reward (Well they all deserv a reward cause they are so good and active on that!)!

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello,
I would suggest an ide about a reward for "Questions from Other Sites" as I seen some member spend alot time daily to help other from exemple "Yahoo" and one of them should get a reward (Well they all deserv a reward cause they are so good and active on that!)!

Regards,
We may consider this as a category for the next awards at the end of this year, but I think personally that staff should be excluded from consideration, as helping to promote MHB elsewhere could be thought of as something a staff member wants to do anyway, but would be above and beyond the call of duty for a person not on the staff. :D

Also, promoting MHB elsewhere oftentimes leads to new members joining and listing the promoter as the referent, and if this happens enough, the MHB Ambassador badge, along with the associated privileges, is its own reward.

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
I am very surprised that there is not an award for actually providing maths help...

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I am very surprised that there is not an award for actually providing maths help...
There are awards given by the staff that will encompass this. (Wink)

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Tomatoes will be thrown at me , if on stage ! . My jokes are the ''baddest'' .
Want me to throw a math book with alot analys and complex number insted:p? Naa your joke is not bad, I enjoy reading them!:)

Regards

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
There are awards given by the staff that will encompass this. (Wink)
I still think that all members of the site should have a chance to give their thanks for the great work of the helpers, as well as the staff being able to do this. It's similar to how in the Logie Awards, there is an award for "Most Popular (insert genre here)" which is decided by the public, and an award for "Most Outstanding (insert genre here)" which is decided by the jury.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I still think that all members of the site should have a chance to give their thanks for the great work of the helpers, as well as the staff being able to do this. It's similar to how in the Logie Awards, there is an award for "Most Popular (insert genre here)" which is decided by the public, and an award for "Most Outstanding (insert genre here)" which is decided by the jury.
The point of the awards this time is to recognize those who might not be already getting lots of recognition. Right now we've kind of decided how this round will play out but I think we can try to implement your idea in December when we hold our next round of awards. We will try to use any helpful suggestions like this as best as we can, so please keep letting us know what you think.

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
I like the fact that awards for helping specific areas of mathematics have been added :)

I would also suggest "Most Helpful Staff Member" and "Most Helpful non-Staff Member" awards.

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
I don't understand how the mathematical categories were chosen. It's missing trigonometry, Differential equations, Number theory, and Other advanced topics (maybe not this one?)

Is it because only the most active sections are used so that the award process is interesting? Or are you not using the forum categories but another one?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I like the fact that awards for helping specific areas of mathematics have been added :)

I would also suggest "Most Helpful Staff Member" and "Most Helpful non-Staff Member" awards.
I just don't know if the size of MHB warrants more awards right now. We have 11 ones to be voted on by everyone and a handful more the staff is planning on giving out. We did follow your first suggestion though! :)

I don't understand how the mathematical categories were chosen. It's missing trigonometry, Differential equations, Number theory, and Other advanced topics (maybe not this one?)

Is it because only the most active sections are used so that the award process is interesting? Or are you not using the forum categories but another one?
We had to narrow things down somehow and the way you see it is how we chose to do this. Due to our size right now it just doesn't make sense to have categories for every topic. As we grow we surely will expand certain categories and we are open for suggestions on how to better organize math topics for December, when we have the end of the year awards. :)

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Want me to throw a math book with alot analys and complex number insted:p? Naa your joke is not bad, I enjoy reading them!:)

Regards
Wow that would be perfect . I am looking for a book in complex analysis .

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
The nomination threads will be closed in 24 hours so we can begin voting, so if you have anyone left to mention please do so quickly.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Alright, everyone. The nomination round is over and once we compile the list of usernames for each category, we will make the voting threads. I think it should be in 4-5 hours at most, assuming my fact checkers aren't unexpectedly missing. Worst case scenario, voting begins tomorrow but I'd check back in a few hours for the voting to be open and ready.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I wanted to say a word or three about the nomination process going on now:

1.) When nominating a user, please wrap the username in the [UNM][/UNM] tags, not so much to show their username HTML markup, but so that this will generate a link to that user's profile so that users can go there and view their recent forum posts to help them make their decision to second or not.

2.) If you see that a nominated user has already been seconded, please don't second again. This will make composing the voting threads easier with less posts to parse.

Thanks to everyone for participating in the nominations and voting! Good luck to ALL of the nominees! (Yes)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
The nominations threads have been closed, and the voting polls will be up soon. :)

Thanks again to everyone for nominating and seconding, and good luck to all the nominees in the polls! (Yes)