Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MGF of this

nacho

Sep 10, 2013
Please refer to the attached image.

The concept of MGF still plagues me.

I got an invalid answer when i tried this.

What i did was:

$ \int e^{tx}f_{X}(x)dx $
= $ \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{tx}(p \lambda e^{-\lambda x} + (1-p)\mu e^{-x\mu})dx$

I was a bit wary at this point, because it reminded me of the bernoulli with the p and (1-p) but i could not find any relation for this.

i separated the two integrals, and ended up with
$ p \lambda \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{tx-x\lambda}dx + ... $ which i knew was immediately wrong because that integral does not converge.
What did i do wrong.

What does the MGF even tell us. First, second, nth moment, what does this mean to me?

Attachments

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Please refer to the attached image.

The concept of MGF still plagues me.

I got an invalid answer when i tried this.

What i did was:

$ \int e^{tx}f_{X}(x)dx $
= $ \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{tx}(p \lambda e^{-\lambda x} + (1-p)\mu e^{-x\mu})dx$

I was a bit wary at this point, because it reminded me of the bernoulli with the p and (1-p) but i could not find any relation for this.

i separated the two integrals, and ended up with
$ p \lambda \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{tx-x\lambda}dx + ... $ which i knew was immediately wrong because that integral does not converge.
What did i do wrong.

What does the MGF even tell us. First, second, nth moment, what does this mean to me?
By definition is...

$\displaystyle M(t) = E \{ e^{t\ X} \} = \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} f(x)\ e^{t\ x}\ dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} \{p\ \lambda\ e^{- \lambda\ x} + (1-p)\ \mu\ e^{- \mu\ x}\ \}\ e^{t\ x}\ d x = \frac{p}{1 - \frac{t}{\lambda}} + \frac{1-p}{1-\frac{t}{\mu}}\ (1)$

The knowledge of M(t) permit us to find mean and variance of X with the formula...

$\displaystyle E \{X^{n}\} = M^{(n)} (0)\ (2)$

... so that is...

$\displaystyle E \{X\} = \frac{p}{\lambda} + \frac{1-p}{\mu}\ (2)$

$\displaystyle E \{X^{2}\} = \frac{2\ p}{\lambda^{2}} + \frac{2\ (1-p)}{\mu^{2}}\ (3)$

$\displaystyle \sigma^{2} = E \{X^{2} \} - E^{2} \{ X \} = \frac{2\ p - p^{2}}{\lambda^{2}} + \frac{2\ (1-p) - (1-p)^{2}}{\mu^{2}} - 2\ \frac{p\ (1-p)}{\lambda\ \mu}\ (4)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

nacho

Sep 10, 2013
By definition is...

$\displaystyle M(t) = E \{ e^{t\ X} \} = \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} f(x)\ e^{t\ x}\ dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} \{p\ \lambda\ e^{- \lambda\ x} + (1-p)\ \mu\ e^{- \mu\ x}\ \}\ e^{t\ x}\ d x = \frac{p}{1 - \frac{t}{\lambda}} + \frac{1-p}{1-\frac{t}{\mu}}\ (1)$

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I don't see how this integral converges, how did you get that answer

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
I don't see how this integral converges, how did you get that answer
Is...

$\displaystyle \lambda\ \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{- (\lambda-t)\ x}\ d x = \frac{\lambda}{t - \lambda} |e^{- (\lambda-t)\ x}|_{0}^{\infty} = \frac{1}{1-\frac{t}{\lambda}}\ (1)$

... and [of course...] the integral in (1) converges if $\displaystyle t< \lambda$. That is not a disavantage because from the pratical point of view what matters in the behaviour of M(t) in t=0...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$