Mg reaction with Ethanoic acid

In summary: Both reactions are technically correct, but in terms of standard conventions and readability, reaction no. 1 is the preferred way to write the equation.
Zoheb Imran
Mg reaction with Ethanoic acid...

My Teacher told me that if we react any group 1 metals with Ethanoic acid, then it's "OH" will be replaced by metal. E.g

Na + 2CH3CO2H------> CH3CO2Na + H2

But he said that if we react any metals from group 2 then reaction will happen like this...

1, Mg(s) + 2CH3CO2H(aq) ----> Mg(CH3CO2)2(aq) + H2(g)

however, i asked him whether this was right:

2,Mg(s) + 2CH3CO2H(aq) ----> (CH3CO2)2Mg(aq) + H2(g)
He said that this is absolutely wrong! But in my 2 Chemistry course books also from Chemistry websites i saw this, the above reaction is shown. So my question is: which one is correct way to write this reaction, 1 or 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only difference between both is Mg(CH3CO2)2(aq) vs (CH3CO2)2Mg(aq), so in fact your question is not about the reaction, but about correct way of writing formula for magnesium acetate. This is salt and in general when dealing with salts we write metal first.

Sometimes it makes sense to write formulas in slightly different manner, as they are more readable then (this is especially true when dealing with organic acids), but for now stick to metal first, anion later.

So that means both are correct? and you prefer equation reaction no. 1? right?

You can put it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mg reaction with Ethanoic acid

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between Mg and Ethanoic acid?

The chemical equation for this reaction is:
Mg + 2CH3COOH → Mg(CH3COO)2 + H2

2. What products are formed during the reaction between Mg and Ethanoic acid?

The products of this reaction are magnesium ethanoate (Mg(CH3COO)2) and hydrogen gas (H2).

3. Is the reaction between Mg and Ethanoic acid exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between Mg and Ethanoic acid is exothermic, meaning it releases heat energy as the reaction proceeds.

4. What are the physical properties of the products formed during the reaction?

Magnesium ethanoate is a white crystalline solid with a vinegar-like odor. It is soluble in water and has a melting point of approximately 200°C. Hydrogen gas is a colorless, odorless gas that is highly flammable.

5. What are the practical applications of the reaction between Mg and Ethanoic acid?

The reaction between Mg and Ethanoic acid has several practical applications. Magnesium ethanoate is used as a food additive and preservative, as well as in the production of pharmaceuticals. The hydrogen gas produced can be used as a fuel source in fuel cells or to inflate airbags in cars.