Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE - Radial Coordinates

In summary, the vacuum field solution of empty space with no cosmological constant produces the Minkowski metric, and in radial coordinates, the vacuum field solution around a spherical mass produces the Schwarzschild metric. The metric for the Lambdavacuum solution is the de Sitter metric, and in static coordinates, it has a singularity at the transition between real and imaginary values for ##\vec{s}##. Additionally, the value of ##\Lambda## is negative, resulting in a positive value for ##\frac{\Lambda \vec{r}^2}{3}##.
redtree
I am having trouble finding the equation for the metric for the Lambdavacuum solution to the EFE in radial coordinates. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The metric doesn't change with the addition of the Lambda term. So, it's the same as the metric of a 2-sphere. Can you get that?

EDIT: I didn't see you were looking for a vacuum solution. The metric should then be the Minkowski Metric.

Last edited:
The vacuum field solution of empty space with no cosmological constant produces the Minkowski metric:

\begin{equation}

d\vec{s}^2=d\vec{x}^2-dt^2

\end{equation}In radial coordinates, the vacuum field solution around a spherical mass produces the Schwarzschild metric:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

d\vec{s}^2&=\left(\frac{1}{1-\frac{\vec{r}_s}{\vec{r}}} \right) d\vec{r}^2 + \vec{r}^2 \left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta d\varphi^2 \right) -\left(1 - \frac{\vec{r}_s}{\vec{r}} \right) dt^2

\end{split}

\end{equation}Which as ##\vec{r}\to \infty## becomes the Minkowski metric, where ##\vec{x}=[\vec{r}, \theta, \varphi]##.I am still not sure how to write metric of the Lambdavacuum solution. What is ##d\vec{s}^2## as a function of ##\Lambda## and ##g_{\mu \nu}##?.

redtree said:
I am having trouble finding the equation for the metric for the Lambdavacuum solution to the EFE in radial coordinates. Any suggestions?
Also look at Carroll's lecture notes from eq. 8.7 onward and you will see the metric and how it relates to Einstein's field equations, including the cosmological constant.

redtree said:
I am still not sure how to write metric of the Lambdavacuum solution

It's the de Sitter metric; see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Sitter_space

If by "radial coordinates" you mean coordinates with a radial coordinate ##r## defined the way it is in Schwarzschild coordinates (such that the area of a 2-sphere at radial coordinate ##r## is ##4 \pi r^2##), those are the "static coordinates" described at that link.

That's great. Thanks!

Given:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
d\vec{s}^2&=\left(\frac{1}{1-\frac{\vec{r}_s}{\vec{r}}-\frac{\Lambda \vec{r}^2}{3}} \right) d\vec{r}^2 + \vec{r}^2 \left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta d\varphi^2 \right) -\left(1 - \frac{\vec{r}_s}{\vec{r}}-\frac{\Lambda \vec{r}^2}{3} \right) dt^2
\end{split}
\end{equation}

Am I correct in the following, where ##\tilde{\infty}## denotes complex infinity?:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\lim_{\vec{r}\to \infty} d\vec{s}&=\tilde{\infty}
\end{split}
\end{equation}

With a singularity at the transition between real and imaginary values for ##\vec{s}##.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
It's the de Sitter metric; see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Sitter_space

If by "radial coordinates" you mean coordinates with a radial coordinate ##r## defined the way it is in Schwarzschild coordinates (such that the area of a 2-sphere at radial coordinate ##r## is ##4 \pi r^2##), those are the "static coordinates" described at that link.
Sure, this is what I quoted for ##m=0## (i.e., ##r_{\text{S}}=0##).

Given:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
d\vec{s}^2&=\left(\frac{1}{1-\frac{\vec{r}_s}{\vec{r}}-\frac{\Lambda \vec{r}^2}{3}} \right) d\vec{r}^2 + \vec{r}^2 \left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta d\varphi^2 \right) -\left(1 - \frac{\vec{r}_s}{\vec{r}}-\frac{\Lambda \vec{r}^2}{3} \right) dt^2
\end{split}
\end{equation}

Am I right in understanding ##\Lambda## is negative such that ##\frac{\Lambda \vec{r}^2}{3}## is positive?

Related to Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE - Radial Coordinates

What is the Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE in Radial Coordinates?

The Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE in Radial Coordinates is a mathematical representation of the spacetime geometry in the presence of a vacuum energy density, also known as lambda. It is a solution to the Einstein Field Equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy.

What are the advantages of using Radial Coordinates in the Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE?

Radial Coordinates allow for a more simplified form of the Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE, making it easier to calculate and analyze. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of the spacetime geometry, as it is based on a radial distance from a central point.

Can the Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE in Radial Coordinates be applied to all types of spacetime?

Yes, the Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE in Radial Coordinates is a general solution that can be applied to any type of spacetime, including flat, curved, and expanding universes. It is a fundamental concept in the field of General Relativity and is used in various cosmological models.

How does the Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE in Radial Coordinates account for the effects of vacuum energy?

The Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE in Radial Coordinates includes a term for the cosmological constant, which represents the vacuum energy density. This term contributes to the overall curvature of spacetime and is essential in understanding the expansion and acceleration of the universe.

What are some applications of the Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE in Radial Coordinates?

The Metric for Lambdavacuum EFE in Radial Coordinates is used in a wide range of applications, including cosmology, astrophysics, and gravitational wave detection. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of black holes and the early universe, and it has practical applications in the design of space missions and navigation systems.