Methods of keeping photons entangled for extended periods?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of conducting a retro-causality experiment using entangled photons and slowing down the speed of light with a Bose-Einstein Condensate. The person asking questions is looking for ways to delay the arrival of one of the entangled photons in the experiment. The longest delay seen in an entanglement experiment is an hour, but it is not with photons. The respondent also mentions that retro-causal experiments have already been performed, but they do not support the transmission of information.
CosmicVoyager
Greetings,

I am interested in conducting a retro-causality experiment to send a bit of data back in time. I would like to delay how long it takes one of a pair of entangled photons to reach a part of the experiment for an extended period of time such as an hour.

What ways are there to keep a photon in superposition? Is there a way to reflect between mirrors indefinitely?

I read that a Bose-Einstein Condensate could slow light. How does that work? How long of a delay could be created that way?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CosmicVoyager said:
Greetings,

I am interested in conducting a retro-causality experiment to send a bit of data back in time. I would like to delay how long it takes one of a pair of entangled photons to reach a part of the experiment for an extended period of time such as an hour.

Here is the longest I have seen anything entangled... it is an hour but it is not a photon:

http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1006.4344

What kind of retro-causal experiment are you thinking about? There have already been a number performed. But they do not support transmission of information.

Related to Methods of keeping photons entangled for extended periods?

1. What is entanglement in the context of photons?

Entanglement refers to the quantum phenomenon where two or more particles, such as photons, become correlated in such a way that the state of one particle can affect the state of the other(s) even when they are separated by large distances.

2. Why is it important to keep photons entangled for extended periods?

Keeping photons entangled for extended periods is important for quantum communication and computing. Entangled photons can be used to securely transmit information and perform calculations that are impossible with classical methods.

3. What are some methods used to keep photons entangled for extended periods?

Some methods include using photon sources with high photon purity, using photon detectors with high efficiency, and reducing environmental disturbances by cooling the system to low temperatures.

4. What challenges are faced in keeping photons entangled for extended periods?

One challenge is maintaining the entanglement over long distances, as photons can experience losses and decoherence due to interactions with the environment. Another challenge is controlling and manipulating the entangled photons without disrupting their entanglement.

5. How can the longevity of entangled photons be measured?

The longevity of entangled photons can be measured by calculating the fidelity, which is a measure of how similar the entangled state remains over time. This can be done by performing quantum state tomography, which reconstructs the full quantum state of the photons.