Method to distinguish SiO2 and CaCO3

• Thread starter Janiceleong26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasoning behind choosing the correct answer for a question involving acidic and neutral oxides. The participants also discuss the properties of SiO2 and CaCO3, including their ability to dissolve in water and their melting points. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to refer to a textbook for further information on the properties of these compounds.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

I chose D, because since SiO2 is an acidic oxide whereas CaCO3 is neutral. But the correct answer is C. And i have doubts on option A and B too.. I can't seem to see why are they not right.. For A, I thought a neutralisarion reaction will happen with SiO2? And for B, I thought CaCO3 decomposes? Please help, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever tried to dissolve SiO2 in a base? Have you ever tried to dissolve it in water?

Roasting and gentle heating are two different things.

Borek said:
Have you ever tried to dissolve SiO2 in a base? Have you ever tried to dissolve it in water?

Roasting and gentle heating are two different things.

No, I haven't..

I see, so if we were to gentle heat them, do they melt?

That was a rhetoric question. You are expected to know some basic properties of the substances from the curriculum.

Check melting points in wikipedia. Actually the best thing you can do is to read about properties of both compounds in some textbook.

Borek said:
That was a rhetoric question. You are expected to know some basic properties of the substances from the curriculum.

Check melting points in wikipedia. Actually the best thing you can do is to read about properties of both compounds in some textbook.
Ok thanks

Related to Method to distinguish SiO2 and CaCO3

1. How can I distinguish between SiO2 and CaCO3?

There are several methods to distinguish between SiO2 and CaCO3. One method is to perform a chemical reaction test, where you add a small amount of hydrochloric acid to a sample of each substance. CaCO3 will produce bubbles of carbon dioxide gas, while SiO2 will not react. Another method is to use a magnifying glass or microscope to examine the physical characteristics of the substances, as SiO2 has a glassy appearance while CaCO3 has a more chalky texture.

2. Is there a reliable method to distinguish between SiO2 and CaCO3?

Yes, there are several reliable methods to distinguish between SiO2 and CaCO3. In addition to the chemical reaction test and physical examination mentioned above, you can also use spectroscopy techniques such as infrared spectroscopy or x-ray diffraction to analyze the molecular structure of the substances and differentiate between them.

3. Can I use a simple home test to distinguish between SiO2 and CaCO3?

Yes, there are some simple home tests that can help you distinguish between SiO2 and CaCO3. One method is to use vinegar (acetic acid) instead of hydrochloric acid in the chemical reaction test. CaCO3 will still produce bubbles, while SiO2 will not. You can also use a nail or a piece of glass to scratch the surface of the substances - SiO2 will not be scratched, while CaCO3 will leave a mark.

4. Are there any potential errors when using a method to distinguish between SiO2 and CaCO3?

Yes, there are some potential errors that can occur when using a method to distinguish between SiO2 and CaCO3. For example, if the substances are in powder form, it may be difficult to observe their physical characteristics, and the results of the chemical reaction test may be affected by impurities present in the substances. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and use multiple methods to confirm your results.

5. Can I use color as an indicator to distinguish between SiO2 and CaCO3?

No, color alone cannot be used as an indicator to distinguish between SiO2 and CaCO3. While SiO2 is commonly known as "clear" or "colorless" due to its glassy appearance, it can also occur in various colors depending on impurities present in the substance. CaCO3 can also occur in different colors, such as white, gray, or even pink, making color an unreliable method for differentiation.