Understanding Acid Strength: HSO3- vs H2SO3

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that contribute to the strength of an acid, including the size and electronegativity of the atom, as well as the polarity of the molecule. It is mentioned that increased electronegativity does not necessarily mean stronger bonds, but rather favors ionization and increases the strength of the acid. The conversation also touches on the concept of transition states and their effect on acid strength. Ultimately, the strength of an acid is determined by its ability to disassociate and release H+ ions.
nemzy
Why is HSO3- a stronger acid then H2SO3?

And also, i know that When the size of an atom X increases, the H-X bonds decreases, meaning the strength of the acid increases since more H+ are ionized.

But when when H-X are more electronegitive, doesn't it mean the bonds between the H-X gets stronger, meaning fewer H+ ionizes?? But this is not the case, the more electrongetive the bond between H-X, the acid strength gets stronger. Is my conceptual idea wrong?

Also, let's say you have solutions of NH3, HCl, NaOH, and HC2H3O2 , all with the same solute concetrations. How would you know rank the pH of these solutions from highest to lowest or vice versa?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
from what I know, the pH value is a measure of concentration of H+ ions, but the strength of an acid is how easy an acid releases its hydrogen ions.

I don't know about HSO3- and H2SO3, but if you mean HSO4 and H2SO4, then the latter is stronger.

Increased electronegativity doesn't translate to stronger bonds.

Of your list, HCl is the strongest acid, followed by acetic acid, ammonia, and sodium hydroxide.

nemzy said:
Why is HSO3- a stronger acid then H2SO3?
other way around then your statement is true. I am assuming you know why if that is the case.

nemzy said:
But when when H-X are more electronegitive, doesn't it mean the bonds between the H-X gets stronger, meaning fewer H+ ionizes?? But this is not the case, the more electrongetive the bond between H-X, the acid strength gets stronger. Is my conceptual idea wrong?
other way around again. your conceptual idea is wrong.

more electronegativity of X means the bond will be more ionic, ie ionization is more favoured. therefore meaning more ionization occurs.

electronegativity increases for X, then the acid strength increases for H-X.

note: H-X must be binary and X must come from the same period for the above statement to hold. because otherwise various different factors will be affecting the bond instead of just a change in electronegativity.

Acidity also has to do with polarity of the molecule. Think transition state, of which the product is an H+ ion and the subsequent anion. A transition state with more H+ character will have lower activation energy.

-------
Online help with high school and college chemistry
http://groups.msn.com/GeneralChemistryHomework

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some one already said this but i'll say it again. By 'Strength' I am assuming you mean ph, which is the concentration of H+ ions, therefore if an acid can easily disassociate completely more H+ ions are Formed. ie X-H -> X- + H+, but if the acid only partially disassociates not as many H+ ions are formed. X-H <=> X- + H+ (reversible reaction)
:) that what i was told anyway.

so one acid would be stronger if it dissasosiated into H+ions more that another.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between HSO3- and H2SO3?

The difference between HSO3- and H2SO3 lies in their chemical structures. HSO3- is a conjugate base of sulfurous acid (H2SO3), meaning it is formed when one hydrogen ion is removed from H2SO3. This results in a negatively charged ion, while H2SO3 remains neutral.

2. Which one is stronger, HSO3- or H2SO3?

HSO3- is considered a stronger acid than H2SO3. This is because the conjugate base of a stronger acid is weaker, and HSO3- is the conjugate base of a stronger acid, H2SO3.

3. How do you determine the strength of an acid?

The strength of an acid is determined by its ability to donate a hydrogen ion (H+). Strong acids have a high tendency to donate H+, while weak acids have a lower tendency. In the case of HSO3- and H2SO3, the one with a higher tendency to donate H+ (HSO3-) is considered stronger.

4. What factors affect the strength of an acid?

The strength of an acid is affected by several factors, including the polarity of the molecule, the size and charge of the atom or group attached to the acidic hydrogen, and the stability of the conjugate base formed after losing the H+. In the case of HSO3- and H2SO3, the stability of the conjugate base is the determining factor in their acid strength.

5. How does acid strength affect the properties of substances containing HSO3- and H2SO3?

Acid strength plays a significant role in the properties of substances containing HSO3- and H2SO3. Stronger acids, such as HSO3-, have a higher tendency to react with other substances, making them more corrosive and able to dissolve certain materials. On the other hand, weaker acids, like H2SO3, may not have these properties as strongly.