Method of images for two charges and two planes

In summary, the problem involves two charges placed between two grounded plates at a distance d along the z-axis. The potential at the points where the charges are placed is zero, and the goal is to find the location and magnitude of the image charges needed to solve for the potential between the plates. This can be done by breaking the problem into smaller pieces and using an infinite number of image charges to cancel out the potential due to the original charges.
wakko101

Homework Statement

Consider two charges, +q each, placed between two grounded plates at a distance d along the z-axis from each plate. thus, the potential V(x,y,-d) = 0 and V(x,y,d) = 0 and the charges are placed at (+R/2,0,0) and (-R/2,0,0) being a distance R apart. Draw the location and magnitude of the image charges needed to solve for the potential in the region between the plates.

Homework Equations

I've assumed two charges of -aq (a being a proportionality constant), one placed on the other side of plate a and the other on the opposite side of plate b at distances of h and -h.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that one can calculate the potential (in the z-direction) at d and -d from all four charges and equate them to zero by the boundary conditions. At that point, I'm left with the equation a(d^2-(R/2)^2) = d^2 - h^2. If I only have one equation, how can I solve for both a and h? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your problem description correctly...
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3052/conds.th.jpg

Is this the setup you are given (with the solid lines representing the grounded conductors)?

If so, I don't think you can do this with just two images charges. In fact, I think you'll need an infinite number of image charges...just break the problem into pieces...

[1] Where would you put an image charge, and what would its magnitude be in order to make the potential due to this image charge and the point charge at [itex]z=\frac{R}{2}[/itex] zero at [itex]z=d[/itex]?

[2] Where would you put an image charge, and what would its magnitude be in order to make the potential due to this image charge and the point charge at [itex]z=-\frac{R}{2}[/itex] zero at [itex]z=d[/itex]?

[3] Where would you put an image charge, and what would its magnitude be in order to make the potential due to this image charge and the point charge at [itex]z=\frac{R}{2}[/itex] zero at [itex]z=-d[/itex]?

[4] Where would you put an image charge, and what would its magnitude be in order to make the potential due to this image charge and the point charge at [itex]z=-\frac{R}{2}[/itex] zero at [itex]z=-d[/itex]?

These 4 image charges will cancel the potential due to your original charges at [itex]z=\pm d[/itex], but now there will be a non-zero potential at [itex]z=-d[/itex] due the first two image charges, and a non-zero potential at [itex]z=d[/itex] due to the second two image charges...

[5&6] Where would you put two new image charges, and what would their magnitudes be in order to cancel the potential due to the first two image charges (image charges 1&2) at [itex]z=-d[/itex]?

[7&8] Where would you put two new image charges, and what would their magnitudes be in order to cancel the potential due to the second two image charges (image charges 3&4) at [itex]z=d[/itex]?

These 4 image charges will cancel the potential due to your first 4 image charges at [itex]z=\pm d[/itex], but now there will be a non-zero potential at [itex]z=d[/itex] due to image charges 5&6, and a non-zero potential at [itex]z=-d[/itex] due to image charges 7&8...

...Repeat Ad Nauseum until a clear pattern emerges...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Method of images for two charges and two planes

What is the method of images for two charges and two planes?

The method of images for two charges and two planes is a technique used in electrostatics to find the electric potential and field around two point charges situated in front of two grounded conducting planes. It involves creating imaginary charges and mirrors to mimic the real charges and planes, simplifying the problem and allowing for easier calculation of the electrical properties.

How does the method of images work?

The method of images works by creating an image charge of equal magnitude but opposite sign to the real charge at a symmetrical position with respect to the grounded plane. This image charge creates an electric field that cancels out the field created by the real charge at the plane's surface, satisfying the boundary conditions of the problem. By adding this image charge to the original charge, the overall potential and electric field can be calculated using standard electrostatic principles.

What are the advantages of using the method of images?

One advantage of using the method of images is that it simplifies complex electrostatic problems involving multiple charges and conducting planes. It also allows for easier visualization and understanding of the problem. Additionally, the results obtained from the method of images are exact solutions, making it a reliable technique for calculating electric potentials and fields.

Are there any limitations to using the method of images?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the method of images. It can only be applied to problems involving grounded conducting planes and point charges. It also cannot be used for problems involving charges in motion or time-varying fields. Additionally, the method of images assumes that the conducting planes are perfectly conducting, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios.

Can the method of images be applied to other geometries?

While the method of images is most commonly used for problems involving two charges and two grounded planes, it can also be applied to other geometries such as multiple charges and multiple grounded planes. However, the complexity of the calculation increases with the number of charges and planes, making it more challenging to solve analytically. In these cases, numerical methods may be more suitable for obtaining solutions.