Method for deduce Schrödinger Equation

In summary, the Schrödinger equation can be derived from the Feynman path-integral approach, which is based on the quantization of action. However, the idea that action is quantized is outdated and cannot be used to derive quantum theory from simpler principles. Instead, the Schrödinger equation is a fundamental theory that cannot be derived from anything simpler. It is based on the Hamiltonian being a generator of a strongly continuous unitary representation of a one-parameter subgroup of the symmetry group of the theory. The exact relation between energy and frequency, E=\hbar\omega, comes from the DeBroglie pilot wave assumption for material particles. Overall, the Schrödinger equation is based on the
Garrulo
Is there any method for deduce Schrödinger equation from quantization of action??

Physics news on Phys.org
The closest way in this direction is the Feynman path-integral approach, from which you can derive the Schrödinger equation. Of course, action is not quantized to begin with :-).

But then, when is quantized the action?

Where did you get the idea from that action is quantized? That's an idea that is outdated for nearly 89.5 years now! :-)

But then, how is deduced the Schrödinger Equation??. All the phyiscs theories are the result of a minimal or maximal quantity of a magnitud. k for thermodynamics, c for special relativity

I don't understand this ideas. There is no way to derive quantum theory from simpler principles. Today, it's a fundamental theory. It's also not possible to derive Newtonian classica mechanics or classical electromagnetic theory from something simpler than the fundamental laws (Newton's space-time model and the dynamical equations of motion, whose principle form can be deduced from space-time symmetries but specific force laws like Newton's gravitational force; or Einstein-Minkowski space of special relativity, from which principle dynamical field equations can be derived, but the specific form of the Maxwell equations as the Abelian gauge theory of a massless vector field must be deduced from experience).

Garrulo said:
But then, how is deduced the Schrödinger Equation??. All the phyiscs theories are the result of a minimal or maximal quantity of a magnitud. k for thermodynamics, c for special relativity

You can see Leonard Susskind derive the Schrödinger equation in his 2012 course on Quantum Mechanics, lecture 4. It is on YouTube here

In a different formulation/axiomatization of Quantum Mechanics, the [itex] \frac{d \psi(t)}{dt} = \frac{1}{i\hbar} H\psi(t) [/itex] is no longer an axiom, but a theorem. It's just a restatement of the known fact that the Hamiltonian is a generator of a strongly continuous unitary representation of a one-parameter subgroup of the symmetry group of the theory: the Galilei group in non-specially relativistic physics and the Poincare group in specially relativistic physics.

While what I wrote in the above paragraph is just fancy mathematics, there's a physical digression on this issue: the nice discussion in the 2nd Chapter of Prof. Sakurai's book on QM. The only derivation of the SE I can remember without resorting to harmonic analysis and functional analysis.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
But in 2.1.24 and 2.1.25 he assumes the linearity of the equation, ignoring terms of O(dx^2) (Sorry, I don´t manage Latex in this forum)

But he assumes in chapter E=\hbar⋅ω an exact relation. In the moment that quadratic terms there are, minors but there are (maybe, not I am assuming, simply not discharging, the linearity breaks Sorry, I don´t know use Latex in this forum

Garrulo said:
But he assumes in chapter E=\hbar⋅ω an exact relation. In the moment that quadratic terms there are, minors but there are (maybe, not I am assuming, simply not discharging, the linearity breaks Sorry, I don´t know use Latex in this forum

$$E=\hbar\omega$$ comes from the DeBroglie pilot wave assumption for material particles (other than photons). It's assumed exact, no linearity assumption implied.

Garrulo said:

Its true basis is symmetry - see Chapter 3 - Ballentine - QM - A Modern Development.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Method for deduce Schrödinger Equation

1. What is the Schrödinger Equation?

The Schrödinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum state. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926.

2. How is the Schrödinger Equation derived?

The Schrödinger Equation is derived using mathematical techniques such as differential equations and linear algebra. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the wave-particle duality of matter.

3. What is the significance of the Schrödinger Equation?

The Schrödinger Equation is significant because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems, such as the position and momentum of particles. It is a cornerstone of modern physics and has applications in a wide range of fields, including chemistry and material science.

4. What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the Schrödinger Equation?

The derivation of the Schrödinger Equation involves several assumptions, including the assumption that particles can be described by wave functions, and that the total energy of a system is conserved. It also assumes that the system is isolated and not affected by external forces.

5. Can the Schrödinger Equation be used to describe all quantum systems?

While the Schrödinger Equation is a powerful tool for describing many quantum systems, it is not applicable to all systems. It does not take into account relativistic effects and does not fully describe systems with multiple particles. In these cases, other equations, such as the Dirac Equation, may be used.