Meteorite strikes Earth; Change in rotational frequency

In summary, the conversation is about a 5.7×10^10 kg meteorite colliding with the Earth at the equator with a speed of 3.0×10^4 m/s. The question is how this will affect the rotational frequency of the Earth. Equations and principles of conservation of angular momentum are discussed, but the final solution is not reached. The person asking for help eventually finds a helpful post on another website.
pcml100

Homework Statement

Suppose a 5.7×10^10 kg meteorite struck the Earth at the equator with a speed 3.0×10^4 m/s, making a 45 degree angle (see figure) and remained stuck.By what factor would this affect the rotational frequency of the Earth (1rev/day)?

GIANCOLI.ch11.p49.jpg

Homework Equations

It seems like an inelastic collision and I suppose that the following equation will also be used:

w_f = v/R

(w_f - w_i)/w_i

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the initial angular velocity of Earth but don't know what the final angular velocity will be because I don't think it will be as easy as plugging in numbers on w_f= v/R. The mass of the meteorite must be considered at some point, right?

w_E = (1rev/day)(2pi/1 rev)(1 day/24hr)(1hr/3600s)=7.27^-5 rad/s

Physics news on Phys.org
A certain conservation principle applies here. What is it?

Is it angular momentum (L)?

L = Iw

So, I_i x w_i = I_f x w_f

where I_i = 2/5 (M_E)(r_E)^2

and I_f = I_i + I of meteor, but I don't know the radius of the meteor...

If I did, I guess I could solve for w_f and take it from there.

Do you think the rotational angular momentum is going to account for much?

Angular momentum also results from translational motion. What are the relevant equations here?

So maybe the relevant equation is L = Rmv?

The initial angular momentum would be: L = Iw_i = [(2/5)MR^2]w_i

where M = mass of Earth

and L_m (for meteor) = rmv, where m= mass of meteor?

If my previous thread is correct, how do I get w_f ?

Angular momentum is the correct conserved quantity. That means that the total angular momentum just after the collision is equal to the total angular momentum just prior to the collision. Prior to the collision you have two objects, one translating and the other rotating. After the collision all you have is one rotating object.

Is the meteor going to change the Earth's moment of inertia by any significant amount?

NOt sure... Still don't know how to set it up.

What is the total angular momentum before the collision? What is the angular momentum after the collision?

Thanks for the help but I found another post on another website that took me through the whole process which is what I needed to see how it was done instead of guessing randomly.

THanks anyway

I didn't want you to guess. I wanted you to reason things out rationally. When you are confronted with some difficult problem in real life you will not always have websites around as a crutch. Learning how to think is the most important thing you can learn in school.

Related to Meteorite strikes Earth; Change in rotational frequency

1. What is a meteorite?

A meteorite is a solid piece of debris from an object, such as a comet, asteroid, or meteoroid, that has survived its passage through the Earth's atmosphere and impacted the Earth's surface.

2. How often do meteorites strike the Earth?

Meteorites strike the Earth on a daily basis, but most are small and go unnoticed. Larger impacts occur less frequently, with an average of one impact every 10,000 years.

3. Can a meteorite impact change the Earth's rotational frequency?

Yes, a large enough meteorite impact can cause a change in the Earth's rotational frequency. This change would be very small and would likely not be noticeable to humans.

4. How does a meteorite strike affect the Earth's rotation?

A meteorite strike can cause the Earth to wobble slightly on its axis, which can result in a change in rotational frequency. This is due to the transfer of energy from the impact to the Earth's rotational motion.

5. What are the potential consequences of a meteorite strike that causes a change in the Earth's rotational frequency?

The consequences of a meteorite strike that causes a change in the Earth's rotational frequency would depend on the size and location of the impact. It could potentially alter the Earth's climate, affect ocean currents, and cause earthquakes or other natural disasters. However, the likelihood of a significant change in rotational frequency from a single meteorite strike is very low.