Metal Spheres; Interaction between conductors; induction

In summary, initially three uncharged spheres (A, B, and C) are given an excess of negative charges by dragging sphere A across a t.v. screen. When placed in a line and connected by a wire, the net negative charge on sphere A causes polarization of spheres B and C. After the wire is disconnected, the charge state of each sphere relative to the t.v. is unknown.
AdkinsJr

Homework Statement

Initially the three spheres are uncharged; then sphere A is dragged across a t.v. screen with an excess charge, giving (A) an excess negative charge. Then (A) is placed next to (B) and all three spheres lie on a line. There is a wire connecting (B) and (C). We want to describe the charge state of each sphere relative to the t.v. after the wire is disconnected.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the attachment below, the sphere above the line I drew is just there to set initial conditions. I gave them all that number of negative charges, and positive charges; although I omit the plus signs in the drawing. I also omit most of the the +/- signs for (B) and (C).

The net negative charge on (A) polarizes (B). The (C) should also be polarized, but not as strongly since it's further from (A).

At this point, I'm stumped. I'm not sure even how to proceed at all, so I can't show much of an "attempt at a solution," since I can't get off the ground in the first place.

Attachments

• problem conductor.jpg
    problem conductor.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
\begin{array}{r|r|r|r|r} \hline & A & B & C & TV \\ \hline Before & -3 & +2 & +1 & + \\ \hline After & - & + & + & + \\ \hline\end{array}

Related to Metal Spheres; Interaction between conductors; induction

1. What are metal spheres?

Metal spheres are three-dimensional objects made of solid metal material. They can come in various sizes and are often used in scientific experiments and demonstrations.

2. How do metal spheres interact with each other?

The interaction between metal spheres is based on their electrical charges. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. This is due to the Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the role of conductors in this interaction?

Conductors are materials that allow the flow of electricity through them. In the case of metal spheres, they act as conductors of electricity, allowing for the transfer of charges between them. This is important in the interaction between metal spheres, as it determines the strength and direction of the electrical force between them.

4. How does induction play a role in the interaction between metal spheres?

Induction is the process by which an electric field can induce a charge in a nearby conductor. In the case of metal spheres, if one sphere is charged, it can induce a charge in the other sphere through the electric field. This can result in an attractive or repulsive force between the two spheres, depending on the type and amount of charge induced.

5. What are some practical applications of the interaction between metal spheres and induction?

The interaction between metal spheres and induction has many practical applications, such as in electrostatic generators, capacitors, and lightning rods. It is also used in scientific experiments to demonstrate the principles of electrical charges and forces. Additionally, the concept of induction is fundamental in the functioning of electric motors and transformers.