Metal plate leaning against a wall

In summary, a metal plate with a mass of 7kg and length of 1.6m is leaning against a frictionless wall at an angle of Phi. The foot of the plate is situated at a V-grooved gap with an angle of Theta and there are three normal forces: F(wall) at the top and F(L) and F(R) at the bottom. To find F(wall), torque is calculated about the bottom leg. To find F(L) and F(R), the equations F(net)(x) = F(LX) - F(RX) - F(wall) and F(net)(y) = mg - F(LY) - F(RY) are used. To find the minimum
darkspy123

Homework Statement

A metal plate (with mass = 7kg and Length = 1.6m) is leaning against a frictionless wall and made an angle (Phi). The foot of the plate is made of circular edge that is situated at a V-grooved gap with angle (Theta). There are three normal force: F(wall) for the normal force at the top of the plate and F(L) & F(R) for the normal force at the bottom of the ladder.

Physics4.jpg

a) Find F(wall) if Theta is 120 degree and Phi is 10
b) Find F(L) and F(R) if Theta is 120 degree and Phi is 10
c) Find the minimum angle Phi for the plate to stand without sliding up if Theta is 150 degree.

Homework Equations

Torque(net) = 0
F(x)=0
F(y)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I got F(wall) = 6.05N by doing torque about the bottom leg
b) I have
F net(x) = F(LX) - F(RX) - F(wall) so F(LX) = F(RX) + F(wall)

F net(y) = mg - F(LY) - F(RY) so mg = F(LY) + F(RY)

Torque (net about the tip of the plate) = [ (1.6m)*F(LX)*sin(80) + (.8)*mg*sin(10) ] - [ (1.6m)*F(LY)sin(10) + (1.6m)*F(RY)sin(10) + (1.6m)*F(RX)sin(80) ]

Now I'm stuck because i have 4 unknowns and three equations =(

Physics news on Phys.org
any one?

Use the given angle to calculate the components of FL and FR.ehild

I'm so stupid lol. Thanks i got it now

Related to Metal plate leaning against a wall

1. How does the angle of the metal plate affect its stability?

The angle of the metal plate does not significantly affect its stability as long as it remains within a certain range. If the angle is too steep, the plate may slide down the wall. If the angle is too shallow, the plate may tip over backwards. However, within a certain range, the angle does not have a significant impact on the stability of the plate.

2. What factors contribute to the stability of the metal plate?

The stability of the metal plate is influenced by several factors, including the weight and distribution of weight on the plate, the friction between the plate and the wall, and the surface characteristics of the wall. Other factors such as wind or vibration can also affect the stability of the plate.

3. Can the metal plate be safely leaned against any type of wall?

The metal plate can be safely leaned against most types of walls, as long as the wall is sturdy enough to support the weight of the plate and has a relatively smooth surface. However, it is important to carefully assess the stability of the plate and the condition of the wall before leaning the plate against it.

4. What precautions should be taken when leaning a metal plate against a wall?

When leaning a metal plate against a wall, it is important to make sure that the surface of the wall is clean and free of any debris or bumps that could affect the stability of the plate. The plate should also be placed at a slight angle to distribute the weight evenly and prevent it from slipping down the wall. Additionally, it may be helpful to secure the plate to the wall with adhesive or other fasteners for added stability.

5. How can the stability of the metal plate be tested?

The stability of the metal plate can be tested by gently pushing on it in different directions to see if it wobbles or slides down the wall. If the plate feels unstable, adjustments can be made to its placement or additional measures can be taken to secure it to the wall. It is also important to periodically check the stability of the plate over time, as factors such as changes in weight or environmental conditions can affect its stability.