Mesh Current Method (complex numbers part)

In summary, Andy was trying to understand complex numbers and how they convert to ordinary numbers and degrees. He was having trouble understanding it and was looking for help.
andymarra
Basically, part of my uni course is electronics and some of the mesh current method questions involve complex numbers, mainly the use of j and other things. I would get the answer as the solution gets it down to 4-j7 and then it says this equals 8.0623<-60.2551° ......... ...< is supposed to be like/_ but couldn't find the proper symbol. I just can't understand the meaning of j and such things. How does it get from 4-j7 to this other answer? Just wondering if anyone could explain the conversions of these symbols to normal numbers and degrees as it is saying the final answer is? can provide full solution if needed.
Thanks, Andy

I can do the question, and understand most of it, its a solution from a past paper in university, but I am having trouble understanding only the complex numbers part, mainly the way in which it changes from j over to a number and degrees? i understand only that j is the sqrt of -1. Any help appreciated! Thanks again! Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
j is the imaginary component. If you've taken mechanical physics, and I assume you have, you can think of anything with a j as being the "y-component" and anything without it being the "x-component"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number

Look at that graph. Like I said earlier, the imaginary axis is the y-axis, and the real axis is the x-axis. You can represent any rectangular coordinate as a magnitude and an angle.

okay I understand what you're saying, but how does this make 4-j7=8.0623<-60.2551? is there a further calculation that is needed to convert this? Thanks

andymarra said:
okay I understand what you're saying, but how does this make 4-j7=8.0623<-60.2551? is there a further calculation that is needed to convert this? Thanks

the magnitude is the squares of the real and the square of the imaginary added and then square rooted:
[tex]\sqrt{4^2 + (-7)^2} = 8.0623[/tex]

the angle is sort of the arctan of the imaginary over the real. Sometimes, you need to modify the angle slightly, because your calculator doesn't know the difference between
arctan[ (-y)/x] and arctan[ y/(-x)]
[tex]arctan(\frac{-7}{4}) = -60.2551^o[/tex]

so the final answer is
[tex]8.0623 \angle -60.2551^o=8.0623e^{-1.0517j}[/tex]

andymarra said:

You convert from rectangular to polar coordinates.

The horizontal (real) component is 4, so that is a vector that points to the right along the x axis. The vertical (imaginary) component is -7, so that is a vector that points down. Adding the two vectors gives you the complex result, which is a vector that starts at the origin, and points down to the right. Its length is the hypotenuse of the right triangle (base = 4, height = 7 down), and the angle it forms with the positive x-axis is -60 degrees. The convention for that angle in the rectangular-to-polar conversion is that the angle is positive starting at the x-axis and going in the counter-clockwise direction. So going in the opposite direction makes the angle negative by convention.

Does that make sense?

EDIT -- Ack, beat out again by xcvxcvvc!

Related to Mesh Current Method (complex numbers part)

1. What is the Mesh Current Method?

The Mesh Current Method is a technique used in circuit analysis to determine the current flowing through different branches of a circuit. It involves creating equations based on the principle of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Ohm's Law to solve for the unknown currents.

2. How does the Mesh Current Method handle complex numbers?

The Mesh Current Method can handle complex numbers by using phasor representation for AC circuits. The phasor method converts the sinusoidal signals into complex numbers, making it easier to perform calculations and analysis.

3. What are some advantages of using the Mesh Current Method?

One advantage of using the Mesh Current Method is that it can handle circuits with multiple sources and complex impedances. It also allows for more accurate analysis of AC circuits compared to other methods.

4. What are some limitations of the Mesh Current Method?

One limitation of the Mesh Current Method is that it can become complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of branches. It also assumes that all the elements in a circuit are linear, which may not always be the case.

5. How do I apply the Mesh Current Method in a circuit?

To apply the Mesh Current Method, you need to first identify all the meshes or closed loops in the circuit. Then, assign a current variable to each mesh, and use KVL and Ohm's Law to create equations for each mesh. Solve the resulting equations simultaneously to find the unknown currents.