Mesh Circuit Analysis: Determine Voltage Across R6

In summary, to determine the voltage across Resistor R6, the individual loop currents (I1, I2, and I3) were first identified and Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) was applied to each loop. The resulting equations were then simplified and solved using matrices, yielding the final values for I1, I2, and I3. The mistake of not properly accounting for the E-4 decimal point was discovered and corrected, leading to the correct voltage calculation of V = 20.02V across R6.
Fronzbot

Homework Statement

Determine the Voltage across Resistor R6.

Untitled-1.jpg

Homework Equations

KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

I called the bottom left Loop I1, the bottom right I2 and the top I3. All currents are flowing clockwise. From there I set up my KVL expressions for each loop:

-12 + 5600(I1-I3) + 5600(I1-I2) + 5600(I1) = 0
5600(I2-I1) + 5600(I2-I3) + 5600(I2) + 5600(I2) = 0
5600(I3-I1) + 5600(I3) + 5600(I3-I2) = 0

From there I simplified those equations into these:

I1(16800) + I2(-5600) + I3(-5600) = 12
I1(-5600) + I2(22400) + I3(-5600) = 0
I1(-5600) + I2(-5600) + I3(16800) = 0

Plugging the Matrices into my calculator I end up with:
I1 = 9.82A
I2 = 3.57A
I3 = 4.46A

I checked the answers and ended up getting 120008 = 12 for the first equation, 0 = 0 for the second and -56 = 0 for the third. Obviously I did something wrong, but hell if I know where. I've done Mesh many, many times before and this particular problem is just a pre-lab thing for a simulation but something is wrong and I just don't know what. If anyone can help me out here I would greatly appreciate it!

-KevinEDIT- NEVERMIND! I decided to solve it out by hand and noticed I got the exact same answers just x10-4 and plugged them in my calculator again... turns out I couldn't be assed into scrolling to the side to see the E-4 after those numbers. WHOOPS!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the answers are:I1 = 0.982AI2 = 0.357AI3 = 0.446AAnd the Voltage across R6 is:V = I2R = 0.357*5600 = 20.02V

I would say that your approach to solving the problem using KVL and setting up the equations for each loop is correct. However, it seems that the issue is with the calculation in your calculator. Make sure to pay attention to any exponents or scientific notation that may affect your final answer. It's always a good idea to double check your calculations to avoid any errors. In this case, it seems like you have solved the problem correctly, but the final answer was off due to a calculation error. Great job on using the correct method for solving the problem!

Related to Mesh Circuit Analysis: Determine Voltage Across R6

1. What is mesh circuit analysis?

Mesh circuit analysis is a method used to analyze and solve electrical circuits that have multiple current loops or "meshes". It involves using Kirchhoff's voltage law to write equations for each mesh and solving for the unknown values.

2. How do you determine the voltage across R6 in a mesh circuit?

To determine the voltage across R6, you would first need to identify the mesh that it is a part of. Then, you would use Kirchhoff's voltage law to write an equation for that mesh, including the voltage across R6. Finally, you can solve the equation to find the voltage across R6.

3. What is Kirchhoff's voltage law?

Kirchhoff's voltage law, also known as the loop rule, states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in an electrical circuit must equal zero. This law is used in mesh circuit analysis to write equations for each mesh.

4. Can mesh circuit analysis be used for any circuit?

No, mesh circuit analysis is only applicable to circuits that can be represented as a series of meshes. It cannot be used for circuits with parallel components or complex configurations.

5. What are the limitations of mesh circuit analysis?

Mesh circuit analysis is limited to circuits that can be simplified into a series of meshes. It cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources or non-linear components. Additionally, it may not be an efficient method for large or complex circuits.