Mesh Analysis: Solving Loop Equations with KVL/KCL for Homework

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving KVL/KCL and finding the current through a loop. The individual has tried multiple equations for io but is unable to get the correct answer of -5A. They are seeking help in understanding the problem in preparation for an upcoming exam.
hoahoa

Homework Statement

Wqddo.png

Homework Equations

KVL/KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

Meshes for;

Loop 1
20 = 6i1 - 4i2 - 2i3

Loop 2
-4i1 + 18i2 - 8i3 = 0

Loop 3
2i1 + 8i2 + 6i3 +10i0 = 0
For the life of me I cannot get -5A as the answer. I have tried the following for i0;

i0 = i1 - i2
i0 = i2

And neither give the correct answer (-5A). Help please! trying to get this down and subsequently superposition/thevenins and nortons theorem down for an exam next week

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Loop 3 equation looks suspicious. I don't see the sum of the loop resistances as a coefficient for i3, and there should be sign changes for some terms.

io = i2 is fine.

Related to Mesh Analysis: Solving Loop Equations with KVL/KCL for Homework

What is mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to solve for the currents and voltages in a circuit by analyzing the individual loops within the circuit. It involves using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to write and solve loop equations.

How do you solve loop equations using KVL and KCL?

To solve loop equations using KVL and KCL, you first need to label the current direction and voltage polarity in each loop. Then, write the loop equations by applying KVL and KCL to each loop. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of the currents and voltages in the circuit.

What are the advantages of using mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is a powerful tool for solving complex circuit problems because it allows for the analysis of each individual loop in a circuit, rather than the entire circuit as a whole. It also reduces the number of equations that need to be solved compared to other methods, making it more efficient.

Are there any limitations to using mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis can only be used for circuits that can be represented as a series of connected loops. It is also limited to circuits that do not contain dependent sources (sources whose value depends on the value of another element in the circuit).

Can mesh analysis be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, mesh analysis can be used for both DC and AC circuits as long as the circuit can be represented as a series of connected loops. However, for AC circuits, additional considerations such as reactance and impedance must be taken into account in the loop equations.