Don't know where to start with this one

• Thread starter Caldus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to start proving the equation A \ (B union C) = (A \ B) union (A \ C), or providing a counterexample if the equation is false. The suggestion is to start with a Venn diagram and then consider the definition of set complement. The conversation also touches on the idea of using arithmetic operations on sets and clarifies the use of "union" as the addition operator in set theory. Finally, a numeric example is provided but it is determined to be incorrect due to a misunderstanding of set operations.
Caldus
How do I start a problem like this? I need to prove it's true or provide a counterexample if it is false.

A \ (B union C) = (A \ B) union (A \ C)

If someone could point me in the right direction, then I would appreciate it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i would start with a venn diagram. three circles: one for A, one for B, and one for C. then shade in A \ (B union C) and draw a separate diagram and shade in (A \ B) union (A \ C). if the two shaded regions are identical, then try to prove it's true. if they're not identical, that will narrow your search for a counterexample.

you could just prove it:

x in A\(BuC) iff (x in A) and (x not in (BuC) iff etc...

Of course we could pass to a universe, X\Y = X intersect Y^c, and the question just needs you to know about interesections.

I'm not too familiar with this, but if we take a numeric example, then does 'union' act as the addition operator? Can we perform arithmetic operations on sets?

For example, take A={3}, B={2}, C={5}

Then would

A /(B u C) = 3 / (2+5) = 3/7

whereas

(A/B) u (A/C) = (3/2) + (3/5) = 21/10

thus providing a counterexample?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
does 'union' act as the addition operator?

Yes, in some sense, but it's hardly defined exactly like the "normal" addition operator... See Wikipedia, set theory for more info.

In your example, B union C = {2, 5}, not 7!

Also, \ stands for complement, not division.

Last edited:

1. How do I approach a complex scientific problem?

The best way to approach a complex scientific problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the key components and variables of the problem, and then work on understanding each one individually. Once you have a good understanding of each component, you can begin to piece them together to form a solution.

2. What resources can I use to help me with a difficult scientific project?

There are many resources available to help with difficult scientific projects. Some helpful tools include textbooks, research papers, online databases, and scientific journals. You can also consult with other scientists or experts in the field for guidance and advice.

3. How do I know if my research is on the right track?

It's important to regularly review and analyze your data and findings to ensure that your research is on the right track. It can also be helpful to seek feedback from other scientists or experts in the field to get a different perspective and identify any potential flaws or gaps in your research.

4. How do I stay organized and focused while working on a scientific project?

One way to stay organized and focused is to create a detailed research plan or timeline. This will help you stay on track and ensure that you are completing tasks in a timely manner. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout and maintain focus.

5. What should I do if I encounter unexpected results in my experiment?

Unexpected results are a common occurrence in scientific experimentation and can provide valuable insights and new avenues for research. It's important to carefully analyze and document these results and consider potential explanations or variables that may have influenced them. You may also want to consult with other scientists or experts in the field for their input and advice.