Mercury intrusion porosimetry equipment

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Mercury intrusion porosimetry equipment to determine pore diameter range and pore number fraction of porous ceramic materials. However, it is not adequate for determining macroporosity due to its limited pressure range. The maximum pore size it can measure is 130um, but it becomes unreliable above 60um. To calculate total porosity, the apparent density given by the porosimetry equipment and the real density given by the helium picnometer can be used. The conversation also provides additional resources for further explanation.
Msl
Hello

I have used the Mercury intrusion porosimetry equipment to determine pore diameter range of porous ceramic material. But it only determined the micro and meso porosity. I also read that this tecnique is not adequate to determine macroporosity. Do you know Why?

This equipment also determined pore number fraction. Can you tell me what is this?

How do I calculate the total porosity with knowing the apparent density given by the porosimetry equipment and the real density given by the helium picnometer?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
pressure range is probably insufficient to cover macropores (I assume you use the standard macro = >0.05um?).
The problem is that at some point the Hg just kinda flows into the pores without resistance. Then, the measurement becomes unreliable. the max. pore size it gives as an output is 130um. Practically,that size can not be measured. I trust it to 60um or so, above that, the measurement intrusion becomes noise over the entire range.

Go here for some more explanations:
http://www.micromeritics.com/Repository/Files/mercury_paper.pdf

Last edited:
PS: Here's exactly what you need:
http://www.micromeritics.com/Repository/Files/A_Few_Facts_Pertaining_to_the_Low_Pressure_Performance.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello MSl, was this of use to you?

Related to Mercury intrusion porosimetry equipment

1. What is Mercury Intrusion Porosimetry (MIP) equipment?

Mercury Intrusion Porosimetry (MIP) equipment is a scientific instrument used for measuring the pore size and distribution of a material. It works by injecting mercury into a sample at increasing pressures and measuring the amount of mercury that enters the pores. This information can be used to determine the porosity, permeability, and other physical properties of the material.

2. How does MIP equipment work?

MIP equipment works by using a high-pressure pump to inject mercury into a sample. As the pressure increases, mercury enters the pores of the material and fills them. The amount of mercury that enters the sample is measured, giving information about the size and distribution of the pores. The data is then analyzed to determine the porosity and other properties of the material.

3. What are the advantages of using MIP equipment?

MIP equipment offers several advantages over other techniques for measuring pore size and distribution. It is non-destructive, meaning the sample can be reused after the test. It also has a wide measurement range, from nanometers to micrometers, and can provide highly accurate and reproducible results. Additionally, MIP is a fast and efficient method, making it useful for a variety of materials and applications.

4. What types of materials can be analyzed using MIP equipment?

MIP equipment can be used to analyze a wide range of materials, including ceramics, metals, polymers, and geological samples. It is particularly useful for materials with small and/or complex pore structures, such as porous rocks, membranes, and catalysts. MIP can also be used to measure the pore size and distribution of powders and granular materials.

5. How is the data from MIP equipment analyzed and interpreted?

The data obtained from MIP equipment is typically analyzed using specialized software. The software can generate various plots and graphs to visualize the pore size distribution and other properties of the material. The data can also be used to calculate parameters such as total porosity, median pore diameter, and tortuosity. These values can provide valuable information about the structure and performance of the material.