Mercury as a plasma at 150 Kelvin

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having mercury as a plasma at a temperature of 150 kelvin. It is noted that the pressure and other parameters would affect the state of the mercury, and it is unlikely that it would be in a plasma state at such a low temperature. The validity of the source is also questioned. The conversation is closed as the topic of debunking pseudoscience is not allowed on the forum.
gary808
TL;DR Summary
Can you have mercury as a plasma at 150 kelvin?
I was reading up on a theoretical engine employing the following, “Mercury plasma pressurized at 250k atmospheres, at a temperature of 150 degrees kelvin (-123° C), and swirled within its accelerator to 50k RPM.”

Does pressurizing mercury so much somehow allow a plasma to form at such sub-zero temperatures?
This seems to fly in the face of what I understand should be super-heated plasma.

Physics news on Phys.org
Might help to say where you read it.

Likes russ_watters
Ibix said:
Might help to say where you read it.
Or maybe not, since the source was not valid. :wink:

@gary808 -- your question is "Can you have mercury as a plasma at 150 kelvin?" right? What defines a plasma? What parameters (like pressure) can affect the plasma state other than temperature?

gary808 said:
Does pressurizing mercury so much somehow allow a plasma to form at such sub-zero temperatures?

Likes gary808 and Ibix
  • Informative
Likes vanhees71, gary808, berkeman and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Or maybe not, since the source was not valid. :wink:

@gary808 -- your question is "Can you have mercury as a plasma at 150 kelvin?" right? What defines a plasma? What parameters (like pressure) can affect the plasma state other than temperature?
Yes. My point is in debunking pseudo-science. Just wanted to double-check with the experts. Pressurization isn't a factor. If it's 150 kelvin, then it is likely a solid, or else it's not 150 kelvin but a super-heated plasma instead.

Likes vanhees71
gary808 said:
Yes. My point is in debunking pseudo-science. Just wanted to double-check with the experts. Pressurization isn't a factor. If it's 150 kelvin, then it is likely a solid, or else it's not 150 kelvin but a super-heated plasma instead.
We don't debunk pseudoscience at PF. Thread is closed.