Mentoring is Good for the Mentor and Mentee

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mentor
In summary, the author took a series of intelligence and cognitive function tests and placed above 99.8% of the educated adult population.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This NY Times book review of Marc Freedman’s new book, “How to Live Forever: The Enduring Power of Connecting the Generations”, discusses the benefits of mentoring for older people doing mentoring as well as the youonger ones being mentored.
Seems appropriate for a forum full of mentors and provides a way to consider your legacy in the absence of Nobel Prize type (astoundingly good) work.

Physics news on Phys.org
These forums seem a remarkable environment to nurture and extend the working life of an aging mind. Short of returning to the classroom as a student or faculty IT, participation in these online discussions and exposure to new and legacy publications and ideas has improved my knowledge far beyond usual self-study.

I took a series of intelligence and cognitive function tests in 2014 that lasted 8 hours covering a variety of subjects including mathematics from natural numbers to algebra, plane geometry, and even a few differential equations in the final module. They asked history and art questions. Q: "Who wrote 'Faust'? A: "Which play? Kit Marlowe, Goethe, uh Walt Disney (Fantasia?).". Q: "What is the "Mona Lisa? Who was the artist and subject? A: "A painting by Leonardo da Vinci of La Gioconda, wife of the patron." Q: "What is meant by the expression 'carpe diem'?".

The test chamber became uncomfortably hot. Noticed that the air conditioning outlet in the ceiling was blocked. When left alone, I removed the grille and paper wedged in the duct restoring air flow. Part of the test? The IQ/EQ sections reminded me of Stanford-Binet multiphasic updated to reduce cultural bias. Wrote a short essay comparing Kurosawa's "Ran" to Shakespeare's "Lear"; why 3 daughters had to become 3 sons, etc.

In all humility I was told I placed at a level above 99.8% of educated adult population. This may have been for Nevada but, even so, I am happy to find an international site like this with so many members and mentors more intelligent and knowledgeable than I was even in my prime. Old skills I thought atrophied are returning along with an appreciation of the amazing breadth of knowledge and depth of information available.

I should test again in a few years when over 70 to measure decline or, hopefully, improvement. Thanks.

[Edit: Test requested by Veterans Administration (VA). I was not told cohort makeup or size.]

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, cobalt124 and BillTre
Klystron said:
he test chamber became uncomfortably hot. Noticed that the air conditioning outlet in the ceiling was blocked. When left alone, I removed the grille and paper wedged in the duct restoring air flow. Part of the test?
http://screenprism.com/assets/img/article/_1080x400/kobayashi_maru.jpg

kobayashi_maru.jpg

Attachments

• kobayashi_maru.jpg
    kobayashi_maru.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 375
Likes russ_watters, BillTre, Klystron and 1 other person
Klystron said:
This may have been for Nevada but ...

Hey now...

What is mentoring?

Mentoring is a process in which a more experienced or knowledgeable individual (mentor) provides guidance, support, and advice to a less experienced or knowledgeable individual (mentee) in order to help them develop their skills, knowledge, and career.

How does mentoring benefit the mentor?

Mentoring can benefit the mentor in many ways. It allows them to develop their leadership and communication skills, gain a sense of fulfillment and purpose, and expand their professional network. It also provides an opportunity for self-reflection and personal growth.

What are the benefits of mentoring for the mentee?

Mentoring can provide numerous benefits for the mentee. It allows them to receive guidance and support from someone with more experience and knowledge, gain new skills and knowledge, and expand their professional network. It can also boost their confidence and motivation.

How does mentoring improve the workplace?

Mentoring can improve the workplace in several ways. It can foster a culture of learning and development, increase employee engagement and retention, and promote knowledge sharing and collaboration. It can also help to create a sense of community and support within the organization.

What are the characteristics of a successful mentoring relationship?

A successful mentoring relationship is built on trust, respect, and open communication. The mentor should be committed to the mentee's growth and development, while the mentee should be open to feedback and willing to learn. Both parties should have clear expectations and goals for the relationship and actively work towards achieving them.